Smoke Generator and Cold Smoke adapter Question

Started by CoreyMac, February 17, 2011, 11:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

If a person is going to use a smoke generator and cold smoke adapter to make a homemade smoker, do you need the smoke generator kit? Or do you just need a replacement generator? I noticed the smoke generator comes with the face plate and tube etc. Do you really use that? It looks like the generator lugs onto the cold smoke adapter and doesn't need the adapter plate.  Was hoping to save a bit of money if possible, plus I hate buying things I don't really need.

Thanks
Corey

classicrockgriller

The tube comes out the top of the cold smoke adaptor and turns and goes

into the cabinet where the smoke gen would have gone.

Sound like what you are trying to do is get the smoke gen element out of your

smoker. I can send you some measurments and pics of the cold smoke adaptor

and you can probably have someone build you a box to do what you want.

But when you start working with a fabricator, things kinda get expensive.

CoreyMac

We thats the best part, I'm actually a professional metal fabricator so that part is a cinch. ;D Just was wondering whether I need the whole smoke generator kit or just a replacment generator. You mentioned the outlet part of the cold smoke adapter, I'm just going to fab up a takeoff that will accept the outlet pipe from the cold smoke adapter. I'm wondering about the inlet. :)

Thanks
Corey

classicrockgriller

Gonna PM you my #.

I can talk faster than I can type. ;D

classicrockgriller

Here is what the Bradley smoke gen looks like out of the box.

Here it is installed.

Cut the 5" hole today and got the generator installed.

Mr Walleye

Corey

Absolutely you can use just the replacement generator. Especially if you are a metal fabricator. I found the generator hangs nicely on 1/4" (if I remember correctly) carriage bolts. Just keep the holes small enough so the collar on the carriage bolt keeps the rounded head away from the side panel and acts as the spacer for the generator to hang on.... Hmmm, did that make sense?

Here is a cold smoke adaptor I built a few years ago before Bradley offered one.

Here's my complete setup in my heated garage.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Quarlow

Mike your setup is the "schisnitz". I can only dream about a tidy layout like that. Damn rental units.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mr Walleye

Thanks "Q".

I've been wanting to build another big smoker from scratch but I haven't had the time. It's been a crazy busy year so far but hopefully I'll get around to it.

So many things to do and so little time...  ::)  :D

Mike

Quarlow

I know the feeling. I have so many things to do for others and myself that unfortunately I usually don't get started at all.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

photobyallen

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 17, 2011, 05:46:27 PM
Corey

Absolutely you can use just the replacement generator. Especially if you are a metal fabricator. I found the generator hangs nicely on 1/4" (if I remember correctly) carriage bolts. Just keep the holes small enough so the collar on the carriage bolt keeps the rounded head away from the side panel and acts as the spacer for the generator to hang on.... Hmmm, did that make sense?

Here is a cold smoke adaptor I built a few years ago before Bradley offered one.

Wow what a setup!! What is the refrigerator looking device for?

Here's my complete setup in my heated garage.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Sorry photobyallen

I haven't been around for a while. Work keeps gettin' in the way.  ::)

I'm assuming you are asking about the large smoker on the right hand side of the picture. It's a large smoker I built out of a proofer. It's 220v and PID controlled. It will hold approximately 100 lbs.

Mike

Quarlow

Boosted, it is just an box. You put a bowl with water to catch the spent bisquettes, but that is it. It just channels the cool smoke up the pipe to the smoke cabinet.

OBS
BBQ

sparky1

wow, really nice garage my friend.  cool set up.  you smoke in the frig on the right?  must hold alot of meat?   8)
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

Mr Walleye

Quote from: sparky1 on July 30, 2011, 08:55:09 PM
wow, really nice garage my friend.  cool set up.  you smoke in the frig on the right?  must hold alot of meat?   8)

Sparky

You bet. It holds about 80 to 100 lbs of sausage at a time. It is running 220v, 3000 watts and is PID controlled. It started life as a proofer. Here's a couple of links to this built and another I did for a friend.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16075.0

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg82164#msg82164

Mike