Newbie - Hickory Smoked Nuts, A Reality?

Started by Jsouthco, February 18, 2011, 06:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsouthco

Hi Guys,

Newbie question here, I have done a search but couldnt find anything so apologies if it's already been covered ..... does anyone have any good recipes for smoking nuts (peanuts, almonds, etc)? I'm sure they would come out great with a hickory smoke and I am guessing you could really experiment with the coatings (or a nut rub). Perhaps something like a small amount of EVOO to coat the nut then roll them in something like kosher salt or sea salt and paprika and maybe a pinch of cayenne for a kick or perhaps use some garlic salt instead of the Kosher or even a BBQ rub. I'm sure these would go down a storm with some beer sat in your favorite matchday chair watching the game on TV with a gang of friends.

I wouldn't know where to start with temperatures and smoke times for the DBS so any advice on that would be great.

Thanks,
John.

KyNola

John,
There's a complete section of the forum on smoking cheese and nuts.  Plenty of info there.  One thing I will tell you.  Smoke those nuts a day before you want to eat them.  Put them in an airtight container and wait.  The smoke will be much better.  Now having said that I know you're gonna jump on them as soon as they come out of the smoker. :D  That's OK but you're gonna REALLY like them the next day.

SouthernSmoked

KyNola has you covered on this one.

Enjoy!!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers