temperature controller

Started by RJR1876, August 29, 2005, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Pick and Norbert,
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the information. How about some pictures?  If you have no where to host them then <b><font color="blue">E-mail</font id="blue"></b> them to me and I will host them for you.

Again welcome to the forums.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Norbert

Thanks!

Yes, I will post some pictures soon.  

Norbert  

Phone Guy

Can you describe how this would connect to a BS? Is it as simple as plugging it into the wall and plugging your BS into the controller? I know the bisquette advancer would be connected directly to the wall. As you can tell I haven't seen one of these up close.

Thanks,
Mike

Norbert

Hi Mike!

My problem with the smoker is that it can't reach the proper temp before the meat dry up.  Yesterday I got it at 300F in 5min, just to see if the system works.  If you use it for cold smoke or as a dehydrator one element is all you need but I wanted more.  

You have to take the back off and disconnect the slider in the front.  The recommended  controller will control the two elements.  The smoke generator will work on it own.   Take the white side of the power cord and connect it to one side of each element.  Then take the black to the controller who will act as a switch.  From the out of the controller to the other side of each element.  

I recommend using a main switch on the black wire before every thing to turn the system on or off.  You will also have to bring power to the controller to feed it.  

I made a drawing but I can't put it in the text area.  It doesn't copy.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I made a drawing but I can't put it in the text area. It doesn't copy.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It needs to be upload to a web server. Email it to me and I will host and post the drawing.  E-mail

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

pick

I'm going to do two things but want confirmation on one idea. I've read here that adding smoke past 140F internal meat temperature gains nothing. Does everyone agree this is the case?

Based on this, I am now looking for a dual input temp controller (might just build one to keep the cost low). One would be used to control the BS box temperature. The other would be connected to an internal meat thermometer; set to 140F; and wired to shutoff the bisquette heater and advance motor. If I'm successful, I'll try to explain how it was done.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pick</i>
<br />I'm going to do two things but want confirmation on one idea. I've read here that adding smoke past 140F internal meat temperature gains nothing. Does everyone agree this is the case?

Based on this, I am now looking for a dual input temp controller (might just build one to keep the cost low). One would be used to control the BS box temperature. The other would be connected to an internal meat thermometer; set to 140F; and wired to shutoff the bisquette heater and advance motor. If I'm successful, I'll try to explain how it was done.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
First most of us apply smoke by time, not by the internal temperature. For example, if a certain product needs 3 hours of smoke, and it would take 4 hours to reach the internal temperature of 140 F., then you have applied too much smoke. Also, it is an advantage to keep the generator powered on, because it adds additional heat to the cabinet. A cut off for the generator is a nice added feature, but I don't see any advantage in this.

I am not sure about the 140 F internal temperature, though I'm sure I am in the minority or possibly alone on this [:D]. I do agree at some point, meat will no longer absorb the smoke flavor, but smoke will continue to adhere to the outside of the meat, at a much reduce rate. The reason I don't agree with the 140 F. internal temperature is because the surface of the meat will be much higher. I'm not positive, but I would think that the surface of the meat on thicker cuts would be much higher than the surface of thinner cuts when they reach an internal temperature of 140 F; so I feel the surface temperature has to be the factor, but what that temperature is I would not know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)