Another Cheese Smoke...with Pepperoni

Started by ETHIKILL, March 18, 2011, 10:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETHIKILL

So I recently bought an OBS, my first smoker, and have been a smoking fool.  I am a cheese freak and just smoked my first batch the other night. This was my first smoke and I tried something different with one of the blocks.  I "stuffed" it with pepperoni.  A few summers ago my parents found this nice horseradish and peperoni smoked cheese at their local farm market, and we love it.  So I decided to try my hand at something similar.   I picked up two 2lb blocks of white cheddar at my meat store when I was getting my pork shoulder over the weekend, so it was getting the treatment.  Basically after slicing the blocks down, I split them again and put a layer of pepperoni in the middle, then tied them up. 

I smoked them for 2 hours with some Bradley's special blend.  I had air temps around 50 so keeping the temp in the smoker down was a bit dificult, even with ice.  The smoker hovered in the high 80's for the first hour, then climbed through the 90's before settling at 105 for the very end of the smoke.  All cheeses are vacuum packed and awaiting their open date.

I know I should let the cheese flavor and the smoke flavor marry over the next 4-8 weeks.  I do have one question.  Where do I store the cheese?  Back of the fridge?

I've been around long enough to know threads are useless without pictures, so I'll include some of the finished product.  Oh and the pictures do no justice to the awesomeness that was my cheese.  They've all got great color and a nice shine. 

OU812

Stuffed cheese....interesting.

Sounds and looks gooood.

I store mine at the back of the fridge, were ever theres room.

Just dont freeze it, it will become dry and crumbly.

kinyo

Jim O

Hey Ethikill

Let us know how the stuffed cheese turns out !

Never thought of doin' that !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

ETHIKILL

I figured the back of the fridge was the place to store it, thanks for the confirmation.  And I will certainly be sure to advise on taste when the time comes.

SiFumar

Looks good enuff to eat!  Did cheese stick to pepperoni?  Let us know when the "tastin" is!

muebe

Great idea! Sounds good. Let us know how they turn out.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TMB

Great idea wish I had thought of it!  Can't wait to see the results ;D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ETHIKILL on March 18, 2011, 10:57:28 AM

I've been around long enough to know threads are useless without pictures, so I'll include some of the finished product.  Oh and the pictures do no justice to the awesomeness that was my cheese.  They've all got great color and a nice shine.  

Great idea. I just have to disagree with your last statement.  :) Good ideas and all information in general are always welcome, with or without pictures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ETHIKILL

Quote from: SiFumar on March 18, 2011, 03:43:31 PM
Looks good enuff to eat!  Did cheese stick to pepperoni?  Let us know when the "tastin" is!

I doubt the cheese will really "stick" to the pepperoni as the one I've purchased doesn't.  The cheese that was the inspiration, when sliced could be seperated.

As for the tastin part I am chomping at the bit here.   I've got a few around with friends and family and someone is bound to open it early.  I am really trying to stick it out until Easter.

ETHIKILL

So I sampled some of the cheese from this thread the other day, and it was awesome.  I had only intended on testing a block of plain cheddar, but polished it off in no time. 

And the money shot.

The pepperoni cheese is scheduled for the chopping block this weekend for easter.  Will update again next week.

devo

ghost9mm

Like everyone else thanks for sharing...really sounds good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

whayek

I did this idea with med. chedder. Used pepperoni in some, minced garlic in another and horse radish in yet another. I have tried the garlic and it tasted great. cheese didn't stick together but still very good. Thanks for a great idea.. :D
Little Chief
Big Chief
(Current) Bradley Smoker

watchdog56

Can't wait to see how the pepperoni cheese comes out. Keep us informed.