Pressure cookers

Started by car54, March 19, 2011, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I have been doing some research on pressure cookers and would appreciate any feedback. How often do you use them and what do you cook with the?

Thanks, Brad

pensrock

I do not own one but remember my dad using one to cook up squirrel and rabbit parts. He would take them out of the pressure cooker and brown them up in bacon fat. Some of the best critter parts I've ever had.  :)

Keymaster

We use ours for canning razor clams and my mom used hers to cook cows tongue.  :P :P :P I have not used mine for about 3 years but when I had a good back for diggin clams we used it about four times a year ;D

GusRobin

I bought a pressure canner to can BBQ sauce. Haven't used it yet to pressure cook.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I'm also thinking about purchasing one. Besides canning, they can be used for cutting down on the majority of your cooking time for almost any meal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

I've been looking too. Here is a web site I found that seems to have a lot of helpful information.

http://missvickie.com/howto/cooking101/lessonframe.html

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SiFumar

Beans!  Really cuts time down there if you forget to soak the overnight.(Not that I ever did ::))  And great for stew meat.

squirtthecat

Ditto on beans.  And corned beef..  and corn on the cob...  baby carrots and new potatoes...  chili (w/ beans)..

I use mine at least twice a month.

deb415611

I made some jambalaya (with brown rice) a few weeks ago,  1/2 went on the traeger,  1/2 went in the pressure cooker  - the flavor of the one in the pressure cooker was more intense.  Worked great with the brown rice,  I think it was  10 minutes cooking time.

I just bought a cuisinart 6 qt electric one at either Bj's or Costco for 69.99 

Any of the Lorna Sass pressure cooker cookbooks are great. 

carnie1

I too have one, usually use to do corned beef in beer but didn't get to do that this winter, I think you could cook a shoe in one of those and it would come out tender ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 19, 2011, 02:07:46 PM
I've been looking too. Here is a web site I found that seems to have a lot of helpful information.

http://missvickie.com/howto/cooking101/lessonframe.html

Mike

Nice link. Thanks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I LOVE my pressure cooker...I have a $79 dollar Fagor cooker...You can make freakin cheese cake in it...I use it for short ribs...I've made risotto,organ meats, beans...it is a staple in our home...don't overpay for one...they all do the same thing...my Mom had one of those "rattlers" for years...heck...my hubby's Mom had one...they are so much safer now...but the technology is basically the same...

I like the options at Cooks.com...great woks too... ;D

ArnieM

I have this one from Fagor:

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300630202&sr=8-3

It has multiple modes including brown, slow cook high and low, pressure and a timer.

I cube up some chuck roast and brown it a batch at a time on the brown setting.  It works like an electric fry pan.

Put all of the meat back in, add your favorite liquid and spices.  Put it on pressure for about 45 minutes and you have some great chili.

Or, dump stuff in and put it on slow cook.  Works great.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

muebe

So Arnie does this Fagor model also act like a crock pot? I might get one but I gotta make more room on my counter ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ArnieM

Hi muebe,

Yeah.  It has slow cook high and low, pressure high and low, rice, brown and a timer including delay start.

I also did brown rice in it and it came out good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.