trout help

Started by jack and coke, April 01, 2011, 08:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack and coke

its opening day of trout season tomorrow in some parts of PA.  ive been searching the site on how to cold smoke trout.

these are smaller size fish.  11-14 inches in size. 

i have the brine picked out. going to fillet and leave skins on

want to cold smoke them
temps about 130-135 sound good
2-2.5 hrs of smoke.  then around the 3 hr mark they should be done?

do you guys use an temp probe or just break fish apart and see if its done.  or you just smoke for a certain amount of time and just pull it out when it looks good.

Tenpoint5

To the best of my memory , which isn't the greatest. Cold smoking is done at temps below 80ยบ. You are hot smoking with a low temp. That's about as close to me being able to answer your question. Since the closest I have come to smoking trout is Lake Trout. I smoked that like I would salmon.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokeville

Hi Jack and Coke;

10.5 is right -- that is a hot smoke you are doing. For health reasons, cold smoking must always be below 80-90F maximum, or 30C (I think).

I smoke a lot of trout -- all farmed sadly -- but treat it like salmon using Kummok's timings, adjusting for the thickness.

Maple and Oak are great on trout. I also liberally sprinkle on some lemon/pepper spice and the results are outstanding.

Rich

Buckeye

J&C:
I smoke a lot of Steelhead in my Bradley.  I just follow Kummok's recipe to the T.  Works great every time.  Almost as good as salmon!

Buckeye