• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke generator short circuit

Started by DocRick, April 17, 2011, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocRick

I have one of the basic Bradley smoker units purchased about 4 years ago. Planned to use it this weekend and when I turn on the smoke generator it trips the GFCI. I have taken it apart and cleaned inside. No burned or broken wires. Everythind looks good but it continues to trip the GFCI each time. Any ideas on where to go next?

muebe

Now it could be that the GFCI is actually bad and not the generator. Have your tried plugging it into a different GFCI protected outlet like near the kitchen or bathroom sink just to verify that it is in fact the generator that is the problem...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DocRick

Good Idea.. Yes I did. I tried it on another circuit that is GFCI equiped. I am a little afraid to try on non GFCI circuit. I probably should also mention that for the last year this unit has been outside in an enclosure as part of an outdoor kitchen. Might it just be I need to replace the hot plate unit?

muebe

Well if it is tripping two different GFCIs then I would not try it on a non-protected circuit. But GFCIs are very sensitive to a sudden surge of energy. I have a pressure washer that will trip every GFCI I have but works fine on a regular outlet. Electrical can be strange sometimes ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

The following links are past discussions on this topic:

GFCI
GFCI Again

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DocRick

Thanks for the reply. Checked those out and sorry it didn't help much. I think I must have a short. It there an insulator associated with the hot plate that  may have cracked causing a short?

Mr Walleye

I'm assuming you have disconnected the cabinet wiring from the generator to narrow it down to the generator causing the problem.

If I remember correctly someone did have a similar issue sometime ago. It seems to me it was the puck burner. To test the theory they opened up the generator and unplugged the wire going to the puck burner, then plugged the generator back into the GFI plug to see if it still tripped it. I'll have to see if I can find the thread.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

might  have some water build up some where in the smoke generator or a release of electrical energy leaking to ground from  some  where possibility from the puck burner  check it  with a ohm meter across its contacts and  ground it see   if you get a reading

DocRick

Thanks for the ideas. I will try after work tomorrow if i don't get home too later. Was planning on smoking a ham for Easter that has been curing in the frige for over a week. May have to break out the old school wood fired monster. Argh!!!

DocRick

Thanks Beefman. You were spot on. I disconnected the burner and it no longer trips the GFCI. Guess I will be ordering a new burner tonight. I think this will solve the problem. 

DocRick

Sorry Mr. Walleye.. You had the right answer. Beefmann had a good idea but there wasn't any water in the unit.

Mr Walleye

Glad you got it looked after DocRick!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes