• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Back Ribs Vs. Baby Back Ribs

Started by Cubzfan74, April 20, 2011, 08:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cubzfan74

Good morning gang. I went to pick up pork ribs to smoke this weekend and they had "Extra Meaty" Back Ribs. I have done baby backs and spare ribs for years but have never seen these. They have a ton of meat on them so obviously extended  cooking time but I was not sure about the difference other than amount of meat on the bone. Any suggestions?? Thanks

muebe

From what I understand Back Ribs and Baby Backs are the same except for their size. Back Ribs are from the larger part of the rib cage. They have more meat and will require a longer cooking time as you stated....Are you doing the 3-2-1 method?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

thirtydaZe

Is the packaging on them by chance blue?

The no frills here in omaha gets the same things.  my wife and i have been eating them almost every weekend since we've discovered them.

They come with the membrane removed, and they are GREAT!

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

squirtthecat

We get them here as well.  'Loin Back' they are labeled.  Big meaty suckers.

Last ones I did at a straight 6 hours at 250° - no foil - in my Traeger, and they were a bit overcooked.

'Fall off the bone'. (actually, the bones fell out)
Very tasty, though.

Cubzfan74

This is my first time with the DBS doing ribs so I am open for suggestions. I am assuming that the 3-2-1 will change to at least a 3-2-2 but we will have to wait and see. I am in Colorado so due to altitude we normally have to cook longer anyway. Pray for good weather. Suggestions are welcome as far as time.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: Cubzfan74 on April 20, 2011, 09:02:33 AM
This is my first time with the DBS doing ribs so I am open for suggestions. I am assuming that the 3-2-1 will change to at least a 3-2-2 but we will have to wait and see. I am in Colorado so due to altitude we normally have to cook longer anyway. Pray for good weather. Suggestions are welcome as far as time.

i've been doing them basically 321 method.

i apply 3 hours of smoke, but let the first cycle go 4 hours, then i put them in a foil pan with apple juice and then foil close for 2 hours, then sauce and let them go at least another hour.

i've had great results.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Cubzfan74

Thanks for the heads up Thirty, What temp. are you setting?

Husker #13

Great question. I've noticed them at No Frills in Omaha as well and thought about buying some to try out.

squirtthecat

They are much leaner than spare ribs.  We really like them for that very reason...    Pork loin on a stick!

Habanero Smoker

Some time ago I read the following article on the Virtual Weber Bullet; Pork Ribs. Click on Spare ribs vs loin back ribs. Both are from the same cut, the thickness may vary depending on how far the butcher cuts into the loin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghost9mm

Thanks "Hab" for that link very informative...we are just partial to the smaller baby backs...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

Hey there Omaha folks Fairway has the best ribs in town, use to buy from no frills but the ribs were hit and miss, never had a bad rib from Fairway.

Big and meaty too.

Just sayin.  ;D

thirtydaZe

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

mow_delon

Hate to steer this another direction, but OU812, do you drive truck? And if so were you in Lexington, NE yesterday?  I parked right behind a semi tractor and on the back it said "OU812" across the sleeper.  Was gonna talk to the driver, but never saw him.

OU812

Quote from: mow_delon on April 21, 2011, 10:41:24 AM
Hate to steer this another direction, but OU812, do you drive truck? And if so were you in Lexington, NE yesterday?  I parked right behind a semi tractor and on the back it said "OU812" across the sleeper.  Was gonna talk to the driver, but never saw him.

Nope.   :)