2nd smoke -2 chickens

Started by Meat tooth, April 27, 2011, 09:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat tooth

Quick question. Why would one chicken be bathing in juices and the other one seem to be dry?

Details: I have two chickens about 4 lbs each, side by side on the same rack (2nd position above the bottom) They smoked for 2 hours. Then got wrapped in foil for 2.5 hrs. Took them out and used my analog meat thermo to check doneness. The first one read 185 and was swimming in jiuces, and the juice ran out clear. The second one read about the same but no juices and nothing ran ou the hole made from the thermo! ? I did not rotate the rack, didn't think this was necessary, but could that be a contributing factor? I'm confused. 

Sorry, but still no camera -used up all my spare funds to get the smoker -lol...
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

muebe

Wow now that is strange ??? Was your vent fully open?

My first thought would be that one was some how wrapped different than the other. Even though they were both wrapped with foil...maybe one was wrapped tighter than the other causing one of them to overcook and dry out.

Also were they both the same temp when they went in? Maybe one was cooler than the other? Possibly still frozen in the middle?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Meat tooth

The vent was open the whole time, they were both fresh from the store an hour before they went in, "room temp" not frozen. I guess the wrap could have been sloppy, I did it fast to get 'em back in, the one seems to be maybe a lb bigger than the other, maybe the combination of the two was the cause. Any way, they are for tomorrows supper will refrigerate and reheat. I'll let ya'll know how they turned out.

Tiny Tim

Could just be the nature of the birds...especially if they weren't "Enhanced" or "water added".

muebe

The pound difference in size could have been the key to the problem....
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

There are hot spots in the smoker, so that could have contributed to the difference. I feel that 185°F is way too high for poultry, today's suggested temperature for whole chicken is 165°F measured in the thigh. If I am just cooking chicken breast I will only take that up to 152°F - 155°F. When you say the internal temperatures were about the same, what was the actual IT of the second chicken compared to the first one. At those high temperatures a few degrees higher can make a major change in the texture of chicken. Did you check the foil of the dry chicken for any tears that may have caused the juices to run out.

Where the chickens the same brand. As TT pointed out you can get poultry minimally processed, enhance or water added. I feel that water added chickens do nothing but add weight to the selling price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghost9mm

I agree that 185 is over the top for chicken, and like Hab said 165..and we have done the 165 so many times and never a problem, but we almost always inject our chickens. you will get it straighten out...practice, practice, practice...eat, eat, eat...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Meat tooth

Had chicken tonight, both birds actually turned out quite good, we like our meat well done, and these were, but not dry in the least. Calling this a success. Nice flavour, used apple, only wood I had, and seasoned it with allspice, (last minute decision and I jumped at the opportunity to try the OBS for a second time!) Looking forward to the next adventure... will try for pics next time! Thanks for all the replies, this is by far the friendliest forum I've been on!

Hiram

I had this happen several times on butts and pork loins, I think the culprit here is the chicken. I doubt they were a matched pair and as stated before one could be water enhanced.

devo

Quote from: Hiram on April 29, 2011, 07:52:04 PM
I had this happen several times on butts and pork loins, I think the culprit here is the chicken. I doubt they were a matched pair and as stated before one could be water enhanced.

Sure sure blame the chicken......poor little chicken.  ;D :D ;D :D

Meat tooth

Those poor little chickens definitely did not die in vain! I'll post a picture of my meatloaf covered in bacon - if I can figure out how to post pictures on here! -That was Saturday's treat, Tonite we are having a roast beef from the smoker... stay tuned!