Junior pooper coming to the family

Started by DarqMan, May 12, 2011, 06:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

I love my BBQ075 (Traeger Texas) and it's great when cooking for larger crowds.  Lately, I've been entertaining less and have been cooking mostly for myself and my son when he's here.  So, I instead of firing up the Texas grill, I decided to add a smaller version to the family.

I called Rick at Texas Star Food company and he made me an amazing deal.  Hopefully shipping tomorrow will be a Traeger Junior, cover, digital controller and the tailgating kit.  I plan on placing the Junior on one of the wheeled stainless steel tables from Sam's Club with the tailgate kit instead of using the legs that it comes with. I'll have to replace the standard 3-speed controller with the digital controller myself so hopefully that won't be too difficult.

When it arrives, I'll take unboxing pics and post them.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Smokin Soon

I have seen some of those Baby Treagers at some sporting events, are they using some sort of 12 volt adaptors or something?

DarqMan

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 12, 2011, 06:40:32 PM
I have seen some of those Baby Treagers at some sporting events, are they using some sort of 12 volt adaptors or something?

I'm no sure if a car battery would have enough juice to run it or not?  I guess it might as once the fire is going the only other thing that needs juice is the auger motor and the fan.  I place on using it at home.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

ghost9mm

Migtht be able to help you...I got a Traeger Jr. today and this was in with the book work that came with the Traeger...

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

DarqMan

Awesome!  That's great to know G9 and congrats on the Junior!

muebe

I just ordered a Junior and I happen to have a 2000W inverter that I use for camping! This is really cool that I can run it while camping ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Quote from: muebe on May 17, 2011, 09:25:08 AM
I just ordered a Junior and I happen to have a 2000W inverter that I use for camping! This is really cool that I can run it while camping ;D

Way to go...we keep 750W in each vehicle.you never know when it might come in handy...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

Quote from: ghost9mm on May 17, 2011, 02:19:00 PM

Way to go...we keep 750W in each vehicle.you never know when it might come in handy...

I've got close to 1200W in my truck,,,, but it dont have anything to do with electricity.  ;D ::)

Sorry I'll go back to my corner now.

muebe

Quote from: OU812 on May 17, 2011, 02:37:35 PM

I've got close to 1200W in my truck,,,, but it dont have anything to do with electricity.  ;D ::)

So you like to play Justin Beiber's new album really loud do you :D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Quote from: muebe on May 17, 2011, 03:16:29 PM
Quote from: OU812 on May 17, 2011, 02:37:35 PM

So you like to play Justin Beiber's new album really loud do you :D

Never herd of him.  ;D

I like to feel my music.  ::)

And now back on track to you guys killing me with all this news of purchasing new pellet poopers.

Smokin Soon

Yeah, It was killing Muebe also. Didn't take him too long to dive in!!!  ;D
Poopers Rule!

DarqMan

Hey guys, my Junior came in tonight.  After I got it all together it was a bit too dark for a decent picture so I'll get one tomorrow and post it.  I do have one question but first some observations on the digital controller install.

Frankly, the digital controller is not as plug and play as I was led to believe but I managed to get it installed after some time figuring it out.  The documentation isn't a lot of help.  Once I figured out I had to remove the bottom of the hopper things went smoother.  So, I labeled all the connection before I disconnected the stock 3 speed controller.  I plugged the digital controller in and FINALLY figured out how to run the digital probe wires from inside the grill cabinet to the controllers logic board in the hopper.  After all the connections were made I wrapped everything back up in a nice bundle with some fresh zip ties and put it all back together. 

After getting the grill ready to season I filled it up with pellets, plugged it and and turn it on SMOKE.  Hey... I hear the fans turning like my Texas grill.... I can start to smell the igniter rod getting hot and I can hear the auger turning and eventually hear pellets drop in the fire pot.  A short while later she's smoking.  After letting it season on high for almost an hour I threw a big ol' ribeye on and cooked it for about 20 minutes. 

Okay, here's the question... when I took the steak off and turned the controller to OFF, it keep running!!!  The fan was still blowing, the digital read-out was still light and it acted like I didn't even turn it off at all.  I unplugged the unit and then plugged it back in with the switch still on OFF and it started up again when I plugged it back in. So I unplugged it and let it sit while I woofed down the delicious rib-eye that I'd cooked.

After eating, I plugged it in again and it did not come back on.  I do not remember my Texas grill ever doing this, not turning off when switched off.  If I'd installed the controller wrong I would have thought it wouldn't work at all.

Have I done something wrong or could the new controller have like a cool down period or something?  I'm at a lost, any ideas?

muebe

Darqman.... I was hoping someone would have piped in and gave you an answer to your problem. I have a junior coming on friday with the digital controller and would like to know if there is a cool down cycle or if you have another problem :-\

squirtthecat

Sorry Darq, I missed this last night.

I'd give your Traeger dealer a shout, but it sounds like they added a 'cool down' timer, based on the temperature of the RTD probe.    Which is actually a very very good (and safe) idea...

The MAKs have them.  My 1 Star keeps going (just the fan, the auger is shut off) for 20 minutes after I turn it 'off'.