• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket Timing

Started by Sorce, May 28, 2011, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

I've got a brisket I am cooking for dinner Monday and trying to figure out what time I should start this thing. It's 10.15 lbs and I've read 1.5 hours per lb. I know that can vary and it's about IT but I'm trying to make sure it's ready in a 4-6pm window. I was thinking about starting it at 10pm the night before, figuring that way if the cook time goes long I have some wiggle room, if not I can just FTC the thing till it's dinner time.

beefmann

your timing is  right on track and id go for it... if it does get  done early FTC with  some apple juice...im doing an 18 lb brisket  that  im starting tomorrow afternoon around  4 and planning  to do a  3  hour smoke with misquette  hickory. jim beam  oak and maybe a couple of maple  to sweeten it up at the  end

DTAggie

FTC is your friend.  I never add juice to beef though.

Sorce

Ok so do you normally see stalls with a brisket? I know you will with a pork butt, this is my first brisket and it's been at 187 for a while and just dropped to 186. I've tested it and it's not fork tender, I've moved the probe and it's the same temp. I figure a stall / decrease normally means things are breaking down and the magic is happening, just checking.

Sorce

Well I started getting concerned about the temp not going up and it getting dried out so I did what any reasonable person would do, I cut a piece off the end to see where it was at, it's nice and tender, although the bark on the end is a little tough, it think that's why it wasn't responding to my forking. Any ways I've pulled and FTC'd the thing. I'm thinking about separating the point and throwing it back in the smoker to make some burnt ends.

Habanero Smoker

It's unusual to see a stall at that temperature, unless you have a very low cabinet temperature that is very close to 187°F.

I rely more on the fork test then I do the internal temperature. When brisket gets close to the internal temperature I use (185°F) I start using the fork test  about 5 degrees sooner then I expect it to be done, and if the fork test indicates it is ready - it is ready.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)