• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Help On Butt

Started by JMory, May 29, 2011, 06:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMory

I have a 4 Rack DBS last night I put a 10.5 pound butt in the smoker at 9:00, smoked for 4 hours. Got up this morning and checked on it at 8:30, the babinet temperature was 212 and the internal temp is 205. I checked in multiple places and the were all consistent at the 205. I have been reading on this blog and other places that it should take 1.5-2 hours per pound. This 10.5 pound butt was done in less than 11.5 hours; am I missing something? Do I continue to cook the butt for another 4-6 hours? Help!

squirtthecat

Can you pull the bone out easily? 

JMory

Yes I believe so. I made a mistake in my post,  I'm cooking a shoulder and not a butt.

squirtthecat

I'd say it's done, then.   Wrap it up in foil + towels and let it rest for a while.

12 hours seems really fast, but maybe your cabinet temp was way high?

RAF128

Quote from: JMory on May 29, 2011, 06:23:29 AM
I made a mistake in my post,  I'm cooking a shoulder and not a butt.

The Boston Butt that everyone talks about and refer to as a butt is the pork shoulder and the bone is the shoulder blade.   Sometimes the terminology takes a little getting used to.
The time seems a little quick to me too but if the bone comes out easy, it's done.

TedEbear

Quote from: JMory on May 29, 2011, 06:12:35 AMDo I continue to cook the butt for another 4-6 hours? Help!

Everything I've read recommends to cook by temp, not time, on butts.  As long as your thermometer is accurate then let that be your guide to doneness.

JMory

Thanks. Everyone. For your help