• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help me choose the right smoker

Started by mkindc, May 31, 2011, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkindc

Hi all,

I've decided to purchase a smoker, and after some research, I've settled on a Bradley. However, I'm not sure which model is best for me and am hoping for some advice. It's for home use only and I'm not a hunter, so I'll never have huge quantities to smoke. It will live outside, in an area with access to power. The climate here in Southern California is mild near the coast. I'm a good cook, but a novice smoker. Budget isn't my primary driver, but there's no sense in paying for bells and whistles I'll never use.

What do you think? Any and all advice appreciated.

--Matt

hal4uk

What do you want to smoke?  You can smoke all sorts of stuff...
How many do you plan on feeding at one time?
Smoking now and then?  Or often?

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

mkindc

To quote you, I plan to smoke "all sorts of stuff" -- everything from meats to fish to mayonnaise. I can't imagine I'll have too much at once. I can envisions batches like a couple of chickens or a side of salmon...things like that. Realistically, every now and then. I can't imagine smoking becoming a weeknight dinner thing.

muebe

If you do not plan on smoking sausage or smoking huge loads of meat then a Original Bradley 4-rack with a Auberins dual probe PID would be the ticket instead of the digital. If you plan on smoking cheese or anything else cold then the cold smoke adapter is a must. You can make your own cold smoke adapter to save some money.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

La Quinta

mkindc...I have a four rack OBS for the last number of years...I love it...and we probably smoke like you do (meaning the size of loads you're thinking about) the unit is a trooper...I did buy the cold smoke adaptor because of where I live in So Cal...our cold smoking window is pretty short so...it was a well worth it investment...but...I know people who love the digital too..but I like the original...

Just my 2 cents...Where do you live? Lots of us in SoCal... ;D

Hopefull Romantic

Hi mkindc and welcome aboard

I have the 6 rack digital along with the cold soke adaptor and the single probe PID. Some times I would some some cheese but others I had to smoke in two loads. Always believed in; "its better to have it and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it".

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on June 01, 2011, 08:18:28 AM
I have the 6 rack digital along with the cold soke adaptor and the single probe PID. Some times I would some some cheese but others I had to smoke in two loads. Always believed in; "its better to have it and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it".
Hady
Especially when you got a bunch of angry women standing over you demanding that you go out in the middle of the night in Jordan to buy more cheese to smoke, right Hady? :D (I remembered that little situation ;) HR)

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on June 01, 2011, 08:32:34 AM
Hady
Especially when you got a bunch of angry women standing over you demanding that you go out in the middle of the night in Jordan to buy more cheese to smoke, right Hady? :D (I remembered that little situation ;) HR)

Me too.  :D

mkindc;

I got the 6 rack mainly for the taller cabnet, made it easer to hang summer sausage.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: OU812 on June 01, 2011, 08:43:37 AM
Hady

mkindc;

I got the 6 rack mainly for the taller cabnet, made it easer to hang summer sausage.
Hady

You guys remember that!....... IT STILL HAUNTS ME.

Hady

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on June 01, 2011, 08:50:32 AM
Quote from: OU812 on June 01, 2011, 08:43:37 AM
Hady

mkindc;

Hady

You guys remember that!....... IT STILL HAUNTS ME.

Hady

And you havent ran out sence then.  :D

Hopefull Romantic

Curt right before I left, I smoked around 8-9 pounds of different cheeses that my wife picked. Now I am entering my 6th week on my business trip and will on skype with my wife, she showed the only two vacuum packed pieces left.

HR

Shasta bob

welcome aboard, YES another west coaster, we are gaining more and more all the time. But yes we are a long way from the following going on the East coast.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on June 01, 2011, 09:12:42 AM
Curt right before I left, I smoked around 8-9 pounds of different cheeses that my wife picked. Now I am entering my 6th week on my business trip and will on skype with my wife, she showed the only two vacuum packed pieces left.

HR

I know what you gotta do when you get home.  :D  ;D

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: OU812 on June 06, 2011, 08:26:58 PM

HR

Not only cheese I am afraid. There are two whole atlantic salmons pending, a stuffed leg of lamb and a small surprise to all that I believe has not been done here before.

Hady

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on June 07, 2011, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: OU812 on June 06, 2011, 08:26:58 PM

HR

Not only cheese I am afraid. There are two whole atlantic salmons pending, a stuffed leg of lamb and a small surprise to all that I believe has not been done here before.

Hady

Oh Oh,,,,,I love suprises,,,, cant wait.  ;D