• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Alder residue

Started by dbrown, October 13, 2005, 12:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown

We smoked salmon using Alder and it left a big patch of black tar-like substance on the chrome.  Any suggestions on how to get it off and secondly, how to prevent.  We want to smoke more salmon tomorrow.
Thanks
Janie

nsxbill

Chrome?  Do you mean the V-pan?  If so, get out the oven cleaner and give it a good douche.  It will take it off pretty well.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Here's what I do every time, regardless of wood or food:

After the smoker has cooled, pull the racks, v-tray, bowl & flat tray & A) hose them off & let them sit in the yard (summer) or B) put them in the sink & cover with water (winter).

After an hour or so, load them into the dishwasher & give it a spin. Comes out looking great almost every time and a second tour will solve any issues if I've been extremely hard on them.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Thunder Fish

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">put them in the sink & cover with water (winter).

After an hour or so, load them into the dishwasher & give it a spin. Comes out looking great almost every time and a second tour will solve any issues if I've been extremely hard on them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Works for me every time,and the mis's won't bark about "black stuff" all over everything else [:)]

dbrown

Have had no problem with other woods but the alder will not respond to oven cleaner - not a problem from a smoking standpoint but looks bad - Janie

Indy

I smoke a lot of salmon, and I've had great luck, and great reveiws, using Apple pucks. I haven't had any residue problems either, so, if all else fails, and it gets to be a problem, there's always apple wood.

I do occasionally have to scrape residue off the burner pad on the smoke generator. It's the same type of carbon residue that you might find on the bottom surfaces of a barbeque grill. It comes off pretty easily with a scrape or two even with a stick, but I think that if I left it in place, that it would cause pucks to burn more slowly or unevenly. Is anyone else have those problems?

Indy

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I do occasionally have to scrape residue off the burner pad on the smoke generator. It's the same type of carbon residue that you might find on the bottom surfaces of a barbeque grill. It comes off pretty easily with a scrape or two even with a stick, but I think that if I left it in place, that it would cause pucks to burn more slowly or unevenly.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At first I was using a fiber pad on a drill to clean off the burner.  Now I use bubba pucks, and on a long smokin' item where the bubba pucks is on the burner it will cause the burner to become a "self cleaning oven!"

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At first I was using a fiber pad on a drill to clean off the burner. Now I use bubba pucks,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with what Olds says, using bubba pucks means the burner is a LOT cleaner at the end of each smoke, to me that is the biggest benefit of the bubba pucks though saving a couple of wooden pucks each time I use the BS is not to be sniffed at either!

Manxman.
Manxman

Indy

I don't have any bubba pucks, but it's probably time I picked some up. It is irritating to have those half burned, or not burned at all, pucks after a smoke. Are "Bubba Pucks" simply stainless steel pucks? And second, who's got 'em for sale? We sound like an "info-mercial" don't we?

Thanks Indy

bsolomon

Well, you get them from Bubba, of course.  Chez Bubba that is...
//www.chezbubba.com

Indy

I guess that makes sense.

Thanks,

Indy