• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Easy Question..., I hope

Started by josbocc, June 13, 2011, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Picked up two Boston Butts from Sam's Club, and have every intention of making pulled pork this weekend.  Found some fine rubs on the forum, so I think I'm all set there.  The question is............, are you ready for this........., fat cap up, or fat cap down?

Please let me know your experiences and preferences!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

GusRobin

You will get people that swear to both of the methods. Me?  usually depends upon how much adult beverage I have as I am putting them in the smoker.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

josbocc

Gus,

Though I can understand that technique thoroughly  ;D ;D ;D, it does not assist me in my dilemma.  Thanks for making me laugh though!
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Hopefull Romantic

Jeff, fat cap up HANDS DOWN.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

I trim the fat cap off,,,, theres plenty of fat in the butt itself to keep moist.

Ka Honu

You've got two of them; try one each way and see which you prefer.  Neither will suck and you won't have to listen to our Lilliputian arguments.

wyoduke

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 13, 2011, 03:45:58 PM
You've got two of them; try one each way and see which you prefer.  Neither will suck and you won't have to listen to our Lilliputian arguments.
;DX2
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

watchdog56

I do mine fat cap up but I am sure fat cap down would be good also.

iceman

Cap up so all the good flavor of the rendering fat drips over the meat on it's way to the drip pan  ;D

beefmann

that  question is a no brainier.... trim the  fat to less then 1/4 inch and fat cap up

KyNola

Like Curt, I too trim off the fact cap and then place the side where the fat cap once was up.  There is plenty of stuff inside the butt to keep it moist, you don't lose a lot of the bark when the fat cap slides off the butt when you go to pull it and there is very little fat to pick out of the meat.

Give it a try.  You won't be disappointed.

ghost9mm

Quote from: KyNola on June 14, 2011, 07:11:13 AM
Like Curt, I too trim off the fact cap and then place the side where the fat cap once was up.  There is plenty of stuff inside the butt to keep it moist, you don't lose a lot of the bark when the fat cap slides off the butt when you go to pull it and there is very little fat to pick out of the meat.

Give it a try.  You won't be disappointed.

X3
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

josbocc

Oh the quandry........................, so many ideas, and so little time.  That is what I love about this forum.  Perhaps I shall try one up, and one slightly trimmed up as well.

Will post the results, and hopefully some pics.

THANK YOU ALL!!!
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

squirtthecat

Easy answer...    Buy 3 and smoke them.

F Up
F Down
F Trimmed

Let your guests decide.  ;)

Smokin Soon

When a couple of big chunks of meat spend that many hours being slow roasted to perfection, I do not see any differance at all. The fat in a butt is built in, the outside is like frosting on a cake. Not like a briskit, where it is a crucial part of the slow cook process. For me it's just about choosing how do I want my bark? Soft? Crisp? Foil time and mopping control that.

But, like these guys here taught me a few years back, it's hard to mess up a butt!!!