• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boston Butt

Started by laserdoc, June 15, 2011, 03:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserdoc

Getting ready to try a 8 pound butt. How many hours of smoke and how long should I keep it in the box.Is 6 hours of smoke at 200 and 12 hours in the box about right
Thanks!!!

richardvoyageur

I just did an 8.5 lbs butt last weekend with 4 hours of smoke (hickory/apple) and time was about 15 hours @ 225F.  I believe the guys on here say it takes anywhere from 12-16.
Sell the sizzle and the steak

GusRobin

Quote from: richardvoyageur on June 15, 2011, 05:13:27 AM
I just did an 8.5 lbs butt last weekend with 4 hours of smoke (hickory/apple) and time was about 15 hours @ 225F.  I believe the guys on here say it takes anywhere from 12-16.
Ditto
Each butt is unique -some more stubborn than others. So I would allow a couple of hours of FTC time at the end. If it gets done early just FTC a little longer. I have gotten into the habit of doing butts a day ahead of time, pulling, and into the fridge. The next day i reheat in the crockpot. To me it gets rid of the hassle of trying to time it for a specific time and I get to enjoy time with my guests rather than having to worry about cooking.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Quote from: GusRobin on June 15, 2011, 05:57:08 AM
Quote from: richardvoyageur on June 15, 2011, 05:13:27 AM
Ditto
Each butt is unique -some more stubborn than others. So I would allow a couple of hours of FTC time at the end. If it gets done early just FTC a little longer. I have gotten into the habit of doing butts a day ahead of time, pulling, and into the fridge. The next day i reheat in the crockpot. To me it gets rid of the hassle of trying to time it for a specific time and I get to enjoy time with my guests rather than having to worry about cooking.

ditto ditto each butt is a bit different and has a different  length of  stall, if it gets done sooner  you can always FTC

TedEbear

Quote from: laserdoc on June 15, 2011, 03:53:47 AM
Getting ready to try a 8 pound butt. How many hours of smoke and how long should I keep it in the box.Is 6 hours of smoke at 200 and 12 hours in the box about right
Thanks!!!

200 degrees chamber temp seems a bit low.  Most people smoke theirs at around 225 degrees. I take mine out when the meat temp has reached 190.  Figure 1.5- 2 hours per lb but cook it by temp, not time.

I do the smoke part for 3 hours.  After a certain time the meat doesn't absorb smoke as well as it did early on and additional smoke is mostly wasted.  I wouldn't go longer than 4 hours of smoke on a pork butt.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Ka Honu

Quote from: GusRobin on June 15, 2011, 05:57:08 AM... butts a day ahead of time ... reheat ... gets rid of the hassle of ... specific time ... enjoy time with my guests ...

I still don't know why this isn't the rule rather than the exception.  If at all possible, it's the only way to go.  If you want to impress guests with food coming out of the smoker, do something simple that you can pretty much guess the time for and don't have to FTC on "game day" (like ABTs or Moink Balls).

laserdoc

this is for a BQ cook off in the subdivision for the 4th of July.
I think it best to cook it the day before .
Now I have to find that secret rub or sauce to make it win.
Won the chile cook off in Oct. I used venison ground and venison smoked sausage. No one could tell the difference.
My chili has honey and tequila as the secret spice. I is killer.
So if you all have a favorite way to make that butt lets here your secret :)   

GusRobin

slather with CYM (cheap yellow mustard) put your favorite rub, put 2 small bread pans on the bottom rack with about an inch of liquid (beer, juice, water, etc.) to collect the drippings. Use the drippings when you reheat in crock pot.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

laserdoc

hmmmmm sounds like a winner. Never thought about using the drippings  when reheating