First Smoke (Ribs) Lots of Pictures

Started by AaronS, June 26, 2011, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronS

Today was my first attempt with my new smoker.  All in all everything was a success. I gave some baby backs a try, using 10.5's method.

First started off with a rub of sugar, sea salt, paprika, mustard powder, cumin, thyme, and garlic.  After the rub I put into in the fridge for 24 hours.   

Brought the ribs out, brought them up to room temperature, got the Bradley going at 225F with Hickory.   Hit it with 3 hours of smoke.

Took them out, wrapped them up in foil with some apple juice, put them back in for another hour. 

After the hour, I put some BBQ sauce on, and back in they went for another hour.

Final product was a great outside bark,  with tender insides, (not as "fall of the bone" as I would have liked).   Can't wait to give a brisket a try.

I made a raw spinach soup with, spinach, cucumber, avocado, garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, salt, soy sauce, lemon juice, blended together with some water, and then mixed in a bit of cream.

During the day also decided to pick a couple fresh springs of mint, and make some Julep's.  I brought 1:0.5 water to sugar, with 1/2 cup of mint leaves to a boil, letter simmer for 10 minutes, strained from the leaves, which resulted in a a mint syrup.   Chilled glasses, muddled some mint, with the syrup I made earlier, added shaved ice and bourbon, garnished with a couple leaves.

I paired the ribs with a Whiskey Sour.   Freshly squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup (made earlier, 1:1 sugar to water), bourbon, angostura bitters, a splash of fresh orange juice, shaken with ice and strained, finished with a sour cherry.

Lastly for dessert, melted some white chocolate, added rice krispies, and peanuts, cooled off in the freezer topped with some Antarctic salt!

Smurfatnz

YUM YUM YUM !!!!!!! Leave some for me  ;D
Crank that smoker up and lets get cooking

Smokey the Bear.

If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

3rensho

Out bleedin' standing!!!  Looks like a pro's been at work.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

WOW, nice first post!

Maker's Mark...   You'll fit right in around here..  :D

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

beefmann

MidKnightRider

Great looking meal. Would have loved a plate and glass!
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

ghost9mm

Dang !!! Now that whole presentation was awesome and everything looks killer, job well done...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 27, 2011, 04:29:35 AM

WOW, nice first post!

You got that right!! Some good looking ribs and a couple cold drinks Aaron will definitely fit right in!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

WideGlideMike00

Oh dayum! Looks AWESOME. All of it! I'll be right over.  8)

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 27, 2011, 11:07:35 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on June 27, 2011, 04:29:35 AM

WOW, nice first post!

You got that right!! Some good looking ribs and a couple cold drinks Aaron will definitely fit right in!!

Mighty fine lookin plate of grub,,,,,,,, I'll have my Maker's Mark straight up please.  ;D

hal4uk

Well, Aaron... 
Just climb your Maker's totin' self up on this crazy train!!!
Welcome aboard!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

AaronS

Thanks for all the support everyone, great forum, a wealth of information and helpful tips!