3 Butts to Go...

Started by ghost9mm, July 01, 2011, 03:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghost9mm

We have a neighborhood party every year and my wife and I volunteered to supply some pulled pork, we got three butts at a good price and got them ready for the smoker, used some CYM and some Andy Nelsons Dixie BBQ rub, had them about ready to go and I started reading a thread from Larry (KyNola ) and mentioned that I was going to do three butts, well he suggested trimming off the fat cap, which we did and the results were very good, they still had traces of fat even after two of the butts took 18 hrs and the one took 19 hrs, I only have one element in my smoker...my wife and I were up till the wee hours of the morning pulling pork, we are well pleased with the way they came out...the only thing we forgot was to take pictures after they came out of the smoker with that beautiful bark on them. the pictures we have are before we trimmed the fat cap off...
My brother flew in from Texas this morning and we served him and his wife some pork sammies and he said that was as good as any they can get in Texas...but y'all know how brothers are...lol..

And I guess this would be the money shot...and we will let Y'all know what the neighbors think..

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

hal4uk

The neighbors is gonna take a likin' to ya.   ;)
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

WOW G9, I'm either going to be a hero or a zero!  The good part is if the neighbors don't like it like it you can blame it on a Coors Light drinking guy from KY.  Your neighbors will most likely say "that explains it" and if they do like it you take all the credit! :D For the record, that pulled pork you did looks mighty good to me.

Nicely done G9! 

SamuelG

GH9,
That pork looks great!  How much did those butts weigh in at?

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

GusRobin

If the neighbors don't like it, freeze it and send it my way.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

I guess it was a big hit, they ate it all and wanted to know if I would do it again next year...lol.. :D thanks Larry and Hal...
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TONY FISCHER

Do you keep the damper at the top closed all the way?

muebe

Nice job ghost. May have to try and trim the fat cap next time ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TONY FISCHER

Tenpoint5

Quote from: TONY FISCHER on July 04, 2011, 07:36:08 AM
Quote from: TONY FISCHER on July 04, 2011, 07:26:58 AM

Tony you should never keep the damper closed all the way during any of your cooks. By keeping it closed you trap all of the moisture inside of your cabinet. Thus making it harder to maintain your temps and you also run the risk of damaging your smoker.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ghost9mm

Quote from: TONY FISCHER on July 04, 2011, 07:36:08 AM
Quote from: TONY FISCHER on July 04, 2011, 07:26:58 AM

Tony what Chris said...I leave my damper wide open, and I just leave it there...
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

GusRobin

mine has been wide open since the day I got it. In fact I think it is probably stuck in that position and I am not sure I can even move it if I wanted to.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

TONY FISCHER

What about the heat loss?

GusRobin

I have the 2nd element installed so that doesn't bother me. I think you will find that the heat loss is minimal compared to the heat suppression (for lack of a better term) due to trapped moisture.

ghost9mm

Tony I done those three butts all weighing almost 9 # each and the vent stays open, the biggest reason for heat loss is opening the door to peak to often and with my PID and my 732 only check on them twice, once to change out the water pan after the smoke was over, 4 hours of smoke the rest was cooking at 225 and the second time I checked to make sure that the drip tray is open so there is no buildup...the PID keeps the Bradley right at 225 plus or minus a degree or two...
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill