Slooooow cooking time

Started by BC Smokin, July 08, 2011, 07:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Smokin

I am smoking two briskets at once, and I had a internal temp of 133F after 12 hours in the BS in the top rack brisket. I increased the temp up to 230F on the oven side and it now reads 221F on the wood side, but the internal is 143F now. I cooked my first brisket a couple of days ago with no problems, but today is taking longer, but it is also windier? than the other day was. Will that make the difference in the time it will take to finish? Other than the wind, what may be slowing the cooking time down? Thanks all,

Meat tooth

I'm no expert, but I'd say it's the amount of meat your cooking. There is more moisture buildup which will reduce temps and create a longer "stall" period. Hang in there, The magic will happen...
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned you have a larger load, so it takes more time the the smoker to get up to the set temperature, also wind will "suck" the heat right away from the smoker. If possible try to protect it from the wind. You didn't mention your vent setting or which brisket you have your probe in. Make sure you vent is 1/2 - 3/4 open to allow moisture to escape, and if you are not rotating the racks have your probe in the lowest brisket. Also if you are opening the door more often that will add up to 30 minutes to your cook time each time you open the door.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BC Smokin

Thanks for your replys. I brought the brisket into the house and put it in the oven. That was at 9PM last night. I checked it at 2:30 AM and it was still just 158F. I had the oven set at 200F degrees, so I put that up to 220F. But at 5AM it was still just 171F took them out of the oven and FTCed them.

I have the BS on the deck now, but I will move it to the carport to have protection from the wind.