The Canadian treasure

Started by ritzdeliman, November 06, 2005, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritzdeliman

I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe for real authentic pemeal bacon, you know the reaaaaallll one. Being a Canadian secret I think that I would probably have a better chance at digging up the colonel and asking him for the secret to KFC. Thanks, ritzdeliman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">"YOU DON'T WIN FRIENDS WITH SALAD" Homer Simpson[:D]

Kummok

OK, I'll bite......what's "pemeal"? Being in the 'Fish' category,  is pemeal some kinda fish???

I make what I call "King Bacon", using the very bottom, fat rich part of the salmon belly.....the stuff that most folks toss. It smokes about 18-24 hours so I have to save up a LOT of salmon belly before doing it, but it is dripping in Omega 3 and flavor![:p][:p][:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

BigSmoker

I may show my total ignorance but I think he got the wrong catagory.  Again I think he is talking about Canadian Style bacon.  Originally I believe it was rolled in crushed dried peas for preservative reasons(Hmmmmmm I may be way off base but thats my story and I'm sticking to it until one of our Canadian friends says BigSmoker you are full of BS)

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Cold Smoke

Pemeal (peameal??)bacon (as I know it) is simply back bacon (made from the back loin of a pig) and rolled in cornmeal. I'm not sure as to how to make it. [?] I guess you could smoke the loin after the proper curing period and use some sort of honey or maple sugar/maple syrup to roll the bacon in then roll around in cornmeal so that the cornmeal sticks. Slice it up- toss in the pan....

This should likely be under a different topic- Meat- not sure how to bump this thread....

My 2 cents. Good luck Ritzdeliman!

Cold Smoke

Thunder Fish

ritzdeliman

oops my fault too many things on the go at the same time. Yes it is back bacon and I did find a recipe I will post it later. Sorry about the mix up. ritzdeliman

Kummok

Dang! I wuz thinkin that there's a new kinda fish down there that you guys could fatten up and send north...[;)][}:)][:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

ritzdeliman

Well with genetic engineering we could probably cross a pig with a wild sockeye and feed it nothing but cornmeal. Perhaps then this topic would fit in both categories. [;)]ritzdeliman

Kummok

Make that a Chinook, a pig and a buffalo and I'm in![:p] Managed to decrease the King (Chinook) population in Kachemak Bay by 12 today! Low 20s, NE winds howling and snow....doesn't get much better than this![;)][8D][:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

ritzdeliman

Southern Ontario has howlin winds at about 50 kph perfect for musky fishin. Got one 44 incher 2 days ago. Not much time left the season ends for us next week. ps, nice catch. ritzdeliman

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ritzdeliman</i>
<br />...Got one 44 incher 2 days ago. Not much time left the season ends for us next week....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dang, Ritz....I can usually rib you guys for catching "bait fish"[}:)] but I don't think I could pull that off this time!  That one sounds like it definitely qualifies as a "Target Species Keeper"![:p]   I've never fished Musky but they look like they'd put up a helluva fight, especially when they come that big........

A true "Bradley Boy", I'm smoking King this morning for a flight to America later today.....(otherwise my family won't let me in their homes!)[;)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm smoking King this morning for a flight to America later today<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I figure one of those salmon had to be from BC, Kummok, so just shove one out of the plane as you fly over my place on the Island on your way down to the lower 48. Aim for my hottub will you, I'll leave the cover off.[:D] Good to hear you got some winter kings. I'm just getting a 9.9 Yammy kicker mounted on my boat this weekend so I'll have to wait until next weekend to give my favourite salmon tack a rub. Reports are that they are getting double headers every time they drag the worms through a baitball. I haven't been out since the beginning of October, so I'm getting the itch.
Cheers,
Tom

ritzdeliman

Thanks Kummok, it was a great fight, two or three shots under the boat and ond fantastic tail walk before we got her netted and in the boat. As soon as she was landed the hook straightened and popped out. One little kiss and she was out of my life again. No trophies on these fish, only memories. By the way, you can drop a few of those kings my way too, its a little east but the wind should carry. ritzdeliman

Kummok

Shoot, Tom...They're ALL from BC!! And I want you to know just how much I appreciate you rearing them so well for us up here[;)][}:)][:D]

Congrats on the kicker...GREAT engine...I had the 'High Thrust' Yam 9.9 and it did all my trolling. Keyword there was "had".....sold the SeaSport to a VERY grateful Anchorage couple, so now looking again....BUY MORE BUBBA PUCKS! [:D][;)]

Ritz, GREAT fight description....I'm down in SoCal right now and my rod hand is twitching severely!! BTW, I hear tell that 'Owner' hooks are as sharp as a 'Gami' but STRONGER! [8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

ritzdeliman

It is true that owners are sharper due to the unique spade shape tip. Gami's are a little too flexible for my tastes and have more give to them when trying to set the hook. I like to use 5/0 owners for most of my bass fishin and a bit bigger as trailers on my bucktails. The other benefit is that they dont't need to be sharpened.[:)]
ritz