OBS dual element mod and PID help

Started by stxhunter, July 29, 2011, 03:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stxhunter

I just finished moding my OBS with the dual element upgrade.  I switched all wiring to use an on off switch just like the one on the smoke generator.  When I plug my cabinet into the wall outlet both elements turn on.  As soon as I plug in the pid everything shuts down.  Do I need to wire the switch differently?

stxhunter

Forgot to mention its the Auber plug and play pid

muebe

Is the PID set to a temp on one of the program cycles? There will not be any power to the PID heater element outlet until a program step has a set cabinet temp...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

stxhunter

I set the first program for 225 and 3.5hrs. , is there something I'm missing? 

stxhunter

Checked the fuse on the PID and it still looks good.

muebe

If the fuse was bad you would not get a display on the PID...

So are you saying that the PID shuts down(no display) when you plug in the heating element cord into the PID heater outlet plug? Are you getting a red led light on the PID?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

stxhunter

The PID is on and is functional.  Actually I noticed when I plug the cabinet into the PID the red switch is not lit up, but when I plug it into the wall it lights up.  Could it be an internal problem with the PID?   

Toker

Just one question to be REALLY SURE, Are both probes (meat and smoker probe) plugged in? I'M asking because when you set your operations if you only have the smoker probe plugged and have one operation set to F instead of T, the smoker won't power on. It hapend to me before.

GusRobin

Plug the PID into the power outlet and turn it on. You should get numbers in the display or "-H-" in the display if the probes are not installed. If this is the case, then your PID is working. now look at your pid settings, do you have C1 set to a temp? Do you have T1 set to sosmething other than zero? If so then you PID is operating okay.

make sure your plugs are all plugged in. Is your temp controller slide all the way to the right?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

To eliminate that it may be a wiring problem with the switch. Set the temperature control on the cabinet all the way to the left. Plug the cabinet in to a wall socket, then turn the switch off. If the second element still works, there is something wrong with the wiring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stxhunter

As far as the temperature control on the box, I completely replaced it with an on off switch.  Plug in the box only and the switch lights up and elements come on.  When I plug the box into the PID the elements turn off and the light on the switch goes out. 

My pid reads C01 225, E01 T, T01 3.5.  All other stages I have set to 0

stxhunter

Quote from: Toker on July 29, 2011, 08:06:05 PM
Just one question to be REALLY SURE, Are both probes (meat and smoker probe) plugged in? I'M asking because when you set your operations if you only have the smoker probe plugged and have one operation set to F instead of T, the smoker won't power on. It hapend to me before.

WOW!! I just figured it out.  It turns out I need both probes plugged in even if the program is set for time!! Thanks so much everyone for your help, I can't believe this was my problem!

Toker

YES!!! I still know how to operate the pid  :D Biginer mistake but you understood. Glad you made it like i said. Next time, if you only need the smoker probe, just set ALL 6 OPERATIONS EVEN THOSE YOU DON'T NEED TO T and NOT F. When you received your PID, there is at leat one operation set to F I lost an afternoon cause of it too last year this is why i know it now. Have a good day.
                                                                    Frank

TonyL222

Same topic, but different question.  Didn't see the need for a new thread. 

I'm ready to do the additional elemtn mod on my OBS.  The posted PDFs are a) Additional Element for DBS and b) Addional element for OBS with ON/OFF switch.  I don't see the need for the On/Off Swicth (though I did buy one.  Just looks like the addional time, care, and craftsmanship involved don't bring a lot of value (I know that for many of you its QED).

Sooo, to power my 2nd element would I just splice in the addional Hot and Neutral wires at the plug in the back and run the other ends through the exisiting holes to the 2nd element? (Hope that made sense).  Just like pic #3 and diagram in Mikes DBS how to?

Would this overload the slider?

TedEbear

Quote from: TonyL222 on August 09, 2011, 09:31:41 AMSooo, to power my 2nd element would I just splice in the addional Hot and Neutral wires at the plug in the back and run the other ends through the exisiting holes to the 2nd element?

No need to run the wires for the second element beyond the cooking chamber.  When I added a second element to mine I just cut two short 3-4" pieces of high temp wire and ran each end to the first element. Just one wire on each side of the element "bank" goes through the holes.  It works fine this way.

I do have a PID I installed in my SG box to control the temps.  Some say that the original slider control might not be able to handle the additional load of 1000W worth of elements. I don't recommend running two elements with the slider temp control.