Smoking Portobellos

Started by Dacotah7, August 13, 2011, 11:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dacotah7

Hi,

I just joined this forum so please forgive me if I missed something in the way protocol or etiquette. Advise me if I did.

I am looking a recipe and procedure to hot smoke portobellos.

My thoughts:
* whole as opposed to slices
* stems and gills removed
* smoking by nature is given: low and slow
* temperature - I'm assuming 200-220 range
* light smoke - perhaps a fruitwood like apple - at least for the trial run

My Questions
* marinade or not
* will olive oil help keep them moist, or
* will olive oil hurt by blocking smoke penetration
* How long should I smoke them
* To prevent over-smoking and drying-out, do I smoke, than finish cooking other wise, in foil or on the grill

Gizmo

What kind of finish and texture are you looking for on the Protobello?
I have done them a couple of different ways.  Highest temp on the smoker, no oil, 20 minutes of smoke, finish on the grill if you want a nice color or stripes.  When finishing on the grill, a little butter and worchestershire sauce is a great taste.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I like to marinate first, and pat dry. As long as they are not dripping wet the smoke will adhere and penetrate. As long as it is not so wet that the smoke mixes with the marinade then drips/runs off. Then I do as Gizmo; finish on the grill. Olive oil will protect them some what. Smoke is both water and oil soluble. As mentioned above as long as it is not so wet that it drips off during the smoking/cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dacotah7

Thanks everyone.

Gizmo,
Hottest temp on the smoker; ah, I've had my Smokey Mountain up to around 400 F. but that's another story...  not a pretty one :)
Finish and textue -  I was thinking as a main course, a meat substitute, like portobello burgers; but now that you ask, maybe a bit drier for slicing and adding to a tossed salad.

Habanero,
I never thought of smoke being both water and oil soluable, 'til you mentioned it.
Not dripping oil is easily possible, with an oil sprayer or brush; just not to much.

I have 4 portobellos on a tray from Sam's Club. After reading the responses, I think I will experiment with two, one oiled the other not.
Not wasting the rest while learning, and in case I need to adjust something.
I know I have to adjust my thinking and procedures from smoking 16-18 lb turkeys, which I mastered, along with meat and fish.
I am venturing into new territory with non-meat foods.

Gizmo

Sorry Dacotah,
When I mention the hottest I was thinking Bradley but 400 F would be good for cooking them for a burger, wouldn't need 20 minutes, again that was a Bradley related timing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/