Buckboard Bacon packaging

Started by whitetailfan, November 24, 2005, 01:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

Hey all, hope someone is out there.
I'm rubbing down some bacon with BBB.  The box will do 25lbs and I THINK (bad memory) there were three bags of cure in the box.

I have almost dead on the right amount of meat if my remaining package is 1/3 of the total, but I dont remember if there were 3 bags or 2.

Help....please

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

WTF,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. However....

16 ounces will do 25 pounds.  That is 3 packages of cure. There are 3 packages in a box.

By the pound it is 1 Tablespoon and 1 1/4 teaspoon of cure.

Hope this helps...
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

YEP 3 bags in a box, <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />Hey all, hope someone is out there.
I'm rubbing down some bacon with BBB.  The box will do 25lbs and I THINK (bad memory) there were three bags of cure in the box.

I have almost dead on the right amount of meat if my remaining package is 1/3 of the total, but I dont remember if there were 3 bags or 2.

Help....please

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

whitetailfan

Thanks guys,
I was doing it last night and because I could not remember how many bags were in the box, I had to do it by measuring.  What happened is I had 8.1 odd pounds to do, and 1/3 of 25lbs is like 8.3.  I wanted to be able to just use the whole pouch, but I could not remember if there was 2 or 3 to start with.

By measure, there was still about 20% left give or take, so could have easily been a measuring error.  That stuff if kind of moist, so it does not measure as easy as say sugar.  I'll probably go back and re-apply the rest of it to any weak looking areas tonight.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="1">I'll probably go back and re-apply the rest of it to any weak looking areas tonight.
</font id="size1"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Good idea...

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

White, I'm glad you are attending to the finer things in life-BACON!  If you neeed anyother type of cure, the shipping lanes are always open for you bud.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

Thanks Mallard,
We did BBB on a meat failure from earlier this year.  I purchased 2 bags of pork for smoked chops.  Turns out due to poor reading, the bag was sirloin not loin, and what I got was 5 pieces of loin end wedged in cryovac so tight it looked like one continuous piece[}:)]

So for bag #2 we did BBB and it worked awesome.

At the same time, I cured the sides from this year's pigs for me and my parents.  I used the B&P Maple you sent me, as there is still plenty left for another batch.  Amazing how far a pound will go of that stuff.  When I run low, I'll call up Mallard Express (to heck with <font color="brown">Brown</font id="brown">, go <font color="green">Green Head</font id="green">[:)])

Smoked up the whole works last weekend with maple pucks.  Dang that stuff is tasty!!!

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

iceman

Hi Mallard; Can you tell me a little about "makin bacon"? It's the one thing I never tried to smoke. I don't even know where to get the right cut of pork to make it with. I sure would love to get into making my own. We got hooked on all the different bacons when my dad sent us a year long certificate for the "Bacon of the Month Club". They sent us 2 lbs. of bacon every month for a year from all over the country. Man were we in HOG HEAVEN. [;)] Regards; Patrick

MallardWacker

Da Ice Man,

Her is my disortation&gt;&gt;&gt;Mallard's Bacon Methods

White,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(to heck with Brown, go Green Head)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Maybe I need to copywright that or sumpt'n.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Maybe I need to copywright that or sumpt'n.</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Too too late I already did: Copywrite # 1094873AB23CGY9800... sorry Duck Man that's what you get for all of that bird shot in your ares... Try flying North for the winter... safer... [:D]

Olds

iceman

Thanks for the link MW. I think I will try a belly cut just to see what happens. Who do you recomend I contact to buy the cure from?

jaeger

Iceman,
You will probably have more trouble finding a bellie than you will finding the cure.
Here is a link to check out. I have not bought from this site.
All of the high mountain I have used I buy locally at retail.

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/catalog/Buckboard-Bacon-Cure-p-25.html

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

iceman

Thanks Doug. I found out yesterday that Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage carries Hi Mountain products. I'll let you know what I find out.[;)]

whitetailfan

ice,
If you have access to a butcher supply shop, I would ask them for advice.  They most likely have more than just Hi-Mtn.  The HM Buckboard Bacon is good, but you might want some variety as it is a "different" flavour than what I associate with regular bacon.

When I did my last batch, the BBB went on sirloin chunks and it makes a round product that has kind of a ham/bacon mix flavour.  When I do bellies, I use a maple flavour cure from butchers and packers that another member sent me.

Just ask what they have to offer before you commit to BBB thats all.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

iceman

Thanks Whitetailfan. I'm definately a snoop around type when it comes to stuff like this. I'll be asking questions for sure.