• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Set up an exhaust system in the garage for smoking in the bad weather!

Started by gerryf, September 30, 2011, 01:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerryf

My first chance to see this in action is tomorrow!! It's supposed to rain again and I'm doing up some wings for the gang. Figured I had better put something together to help eliminate the smoke from the garage so here's what I put together today:

WP_000193 by gtfreymann, on Flickr

I bought a $19 dollar bathroom exhaust fan, and a $6 flexible pipe. The rest of the materials I already had in the garage, including a plastic dryer vent that I found under the bench!

WP_000194 by gtfreymann, on Flickr

I think it should work out ok.

WP_000195 by gtfreymann, on Flickr

Easy to remove when not needed.

WP_000196 by gtfreymann, on Flickr

The chains will allow me to raise and lower the thing as required.

WP_000197 by gtfreymann, on Flickr

I'll let you know how it goes!!

classicrockgriller

OU812

That will work great.

I did the same thing with a fart sucker just took it a little farther.

Even got one of these thingies out side.

Year round smoking dont get any better.

ghost9mm

That will work, let us see some action shots when you fire it up...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

Pretty cool stuff. Can't wait to see it in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

gerryf

Thanks guys! I'll get some more pics with the real camera when it's cooking tomorrow. Used my cell phone today.

gerryf

Quote from: OU812 on September 30, 2011, 02:38:11 PM
That will work great.

I did the same thing with a fart sucker just took it a little farther.

Year round smoking dont get any better.

Never heard that phrase before! LMAO!

But that is excellent. If I was more creative I would have loved to do exactly what you have done, but for now I'll try my version 1.0 and perhaps later I'll upgrade to a version 2.0? ;-)

Sailor

Nice looking set up.  Just thinking that you might get some smoke roll out being that you don't have an "edge".  If you do get some roll out you can add an edge of 1X or even take some aluminum foil and staple it to the edges to give you more of a cooking hood effect.  Lowering the chain may be all you need if there is not too much of an air movement going across the top.  I will be interested to see the smoke being sucked up the fart fan.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

gerryf

Quote from: Sailor on September 30, 2011, 03:49:30 PM
Nice looking set up.  Just thinking that you might get some smoke roll out being that you don't have an "edge".  If you do get some roll out you can add an edge of 1X or even take some aluminum foil and staple it to the edges to give you more of a cooking hood effect.  Lowering the chain may be all you need if there is not too much of an air movement going across the top.  I will be interested to see the smoke being sucked up the fart fan.  ;D

Yes, I had thought of adding an edge around it but ran out of time. I like the idea of stapling on some foil wrap in the meantime though.

I will watch for smoke roll out, and if that's a problem (I can see that it would be) I'll tack on some foil wrap and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea!

Tenpoint5

looks pretty good I would start with the foil edging. Unless your like me I just let the smoke roll and enjoy the hickory smell for a couple of weeks after the smoke is over
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ffrcoupe

I was just thinking about that not more than 20 minutes ago as I was sitting in my man cave!!!!

I am thinking about putting a smoke stack kinda thing on the roof so I don't smoke up my siding. Then just pipe it from the smoker up to the roof exhaust.

24x7 365 days a year smoking potential. Awesome!

OU812

The possibilities are end less.

I Came up with mine wile cleaning up after installin a new HVAC in the house and trying to figure what to do with the extra crap.  ::)

Evin made a cold smoke set up with the extra crap.

ArnieM

Hope there's a winch to hoist it up and down with the chains  :D

A hunk of 8 inch duct just sitting on top of the smoker would help channel the smoke up to the exhaust fan.

Don't open the door too often!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

gerryf

Quote from: ArnieM on September 30, 2011, 09:45:17 PM
Hope there's a winch to hoist it up and down with the chains  :D

A hunk of 8 inch duct just sitting on top of the smoker would help channel the smoke up to the exhaust fan.

Don't open the door too often!

Naw, it's pretty easy to adjust the height. The hard part was getting it on the chains to start with, but even that wasn't too difficult.

I could put a hunk of 8 inch duct on the top, but then I wouldn't be able to see my digital remote thermometer! LOL

I never open the door to the smoker unless there's something to be done with the food inside.