Hot Ditty Dog Franks

Started by OU812, October 04, 2011, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernSmoked

Niiice! I'd take one with peppers and spicy mustard.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

pikeman_95

OU8
Would you be willing to give a little more detail as to how many pounds of meat and the spice recipe. I see you said that you dropped the coriander and added ground celery seed. A old spice blender had told me that the secret to the typical Costco type polish dog was celery seed. That might be the missing thing I have not hit on until now.

Your franks sure look great.

Kirby

ghost9mm

Partner great job on the franks, they do look really good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pensrock

chili and mustard on mine please.  :)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: pikeman_95 on October 04, 2011, 05:17:16 PM
OU8
Would you be willing to give a little more detail as to how many pounds of meat and the spice recipe. I see you said that you dropped the coriander and added ground celery seed. A old spice blender had told me that the secret to the typical Costco type polish dog was celery seed. That might be the missing thing I have not hit on until now.

Your franks sure look great.

Kirby

X2 ?

cobra6223

Dang Curt those look awesome, 4 days off going to buy and plan my attack for the next few days.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: cobra6223 on October 06, 2011, 09:01:08 AM
Dang Curt those look awesome, 4 days off going to buy and plan my attack for the next few days.

Yeah but he is pulling a NEPAS and not giving up the secret receipt for this one!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Call it what ya want,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I call it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,been busy.  ;D

The money shot.

Sailor

WOW!  I am impressed.  Nice $ shot.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Curt.

I gotta get back in the saddle soon.

OU812

OK,,,,heres what I got so far, I've changed things up about 10 times sense Chris posted the first batch, which was in the infant stage and all I did was switched all the fresh ingredients to granulated.

After that I broke the recipe down to 1 lb then stated increasing the amounts till I got close to the strength in flavor I was looking for. Then started taking out the flavors that I thought didnt belong, after that it was adjusting flavors, mainly up.

Then when making some deer nuggets I was adding ground celery seed to that recipe and I got an idea of what I thought I was missing in the dogs.

Ground celery seed! Not ground celery it dont have the robust flavor like the seed

I'm still not done with this but its getting really close to what I'm looking for.

2 1/2 lb deer, all fat and blue skin removed
2 1/2 lb pork butt
1 cup ice cold bottled water
2 Tbl California Paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp ground celery seed
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 cup non fat milk powder (do not pack, fluff and spoon into the cup then wipe off with a knife)
1 tsp cure #1
3 Tbl ground Canadian mustard
1 1/2 tsp mace
4 Tbl Morton Kosher salt
2 Tbl Dextrose

Grind the meat through 3/16" plate, spread out on a shallow pan and put in the freezerfor 20 to 30 min.

Clean up my mess form unpacking and cutting the meat.

Mix all dry in with the water, starting with the powdered milk. A trick to adding the powdered milk to the water is to add a little at a time and mixing well, otherwise youll get clumps.Set the spice mix in the fridge.

Grind, spread out and in the freezer again.

Clean up my mess from making the spice mix and get the stuffer ready.

Grind and mix in the spices.

Fire up smoker to 140 F

Stuff and let hang at room temp for 30 min.

When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F

Hold for 1 hr to allow sausage to sweat and the casings are dry to the touch.

After the first hr raise the temp of the smoker to 130 and start the smoke. I like 3 hr Pecan on sausage, after an hr raise temp to 140 and hold till smoke is done.

Now do the poaching thing. I fill the roaster and set the temp to 160 F after the sausage first goes in the smoker.

Oh YA, all my spices are from Penzeys, there the best I've found local.

PS; It took me 1 hr and 10 min to type this,,,,,,,,,,,,man I'm a smokin on this here keyboard.

Sailor

Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F

After the first hr raise the temp of the smoker to 130 and start the smoke. I like 3 hr Pecan on sausage, after an hr raise temp to 140 and hold till smoke is done.

Now do the poaching thing. I fill the roaster and set the temp to 160 F after the sausage first goes in the smoker.

PS; It took me 1 hr and 10 min to type this,,,,,,,,,,,,man I'm a smokin on this here keyboard.
Curt, thank you for the hard work and time that you have invested in this project.  Could you clear up something for me as I have read it several times and I am a bit confused.

"When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F"

Are you saying get the cabinet temp to 140 and then turn the heater off until it falls to 120 and then crank it up again and hold at 120?  I am just not sure what you are meaning.

Thanks

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

Thanks for the hard work. I will just increase this batch size as I just do a little larger batches. Are you through with the changes or do you intend to refine.  How would you compare the franks to the frankfurters that you would get at the Costco food court. Your sausage look fantastic.

Kirby

OU812

Quote from: Sailor on October 06, 2011, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

Curt, thank you for the hard work and time that you have invested in this project.  Could you clear up something for me as I have read it several times and I am a bit confused.

"When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F"

Are you saying get the cabinet temp to 140 and then turn the heater off until it falls to 120 and then crank it up again and hold at 120?  I am just not sure what you are meaning.

Thanks

Jim

I have a PID with a duel element.

What I do is wait till the cabnet temp is to 140 before I place the sausage in, then after the sausage is in the cabnet the temp will fall below the 140 set point, like some wheres around 100. By keeping the set point at 140 the element will stay on longer and climb faster. It only takes 5 to 10 min to get up to 120 this way.

If I turn the set point to 120 right after I put the sausage in it will take the cabnet 20 to 30 min to get settled in as the element pulses allot more as the PID is trying to balance itself out.

Hope this made sense. Its easier to say than type for me.

I got in this habbit form doing 25 lb batches, maybe I should re-wright this part as we are only talking 5 lb here.

OU812

Quote from: pikeman_95 on October 06, 2011, 05:20:15 PM
Thanks for the hard work. I will just increase this batch size as I just do a little larger batches. Are you through with the changes or do you intend to refine.  How would you compare the franks to the frankfurters that you would get at the Costco food court. Your sausage look fantastic.

Kirby

Yes, I do plan to refine, I'm thinking it still needs something.

Never set foot in a Costco so I dont know how there Franks taste.

I'm going by what I can remember from Octoberfest back when I was closer to home.