Hot Ditty Dog Franks

Started by OU812, October 04, 2011, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Thanks for the explanation as it makes sense now.  I normally will smoke 5 lb of snack stix at a time and if I do SS or sausage I will do 10 lb.  The run I did with the Kielbasa with the cellulose casings was 20 pounds.  I have the OBS without any modifications.   Just before I start to stuff I preheat to 140.  I also have the dual PID.  Once I put the load in I do note that the cabinet temp will fall to around 100 degrees.  I then set the PID for 1 1/2 hrs at 130 and come back in 30 min and load my pucks.  The pucks are just starting to smoke (3 advances) as my PID kicks it up to 140 for the 2 hr smoke.  I think we are doing the same thing just a little bit different.  What I have noticed is that the cellulose casings do not wick that much moisture and don't require as much dry time as collagen or hog casings. 

I am going to make a 5 lb batch of your recipe this weekend.  I am really excited to see how they taste as the recipe really looks good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2011, 06:46:38 PM
Quote from: Sailor on October 06, 2011, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

Stuff and let hang at room temp for 30 min.

When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F

Hold for 1 hr to allow sausage to sweat and the casings are dry to the touch.

After the first hr raise the temp of the smoker to 130 and start the smoke. I like 3 hr Pecan on sausage, after an hr raise temp to 140 and hold till smoke is done.

Now do the poaching thing. I fill the roaster and set the temp to 160 F after the sausage first goes in the smoker.

Oh YA, all my spices are from Penzeys, there the best I've found local.

PS; It took me 1 hr and 10 min to type this,,,,,,,,,,,,man I'm a smokin on this here keyboard.
Curt, thank you for the hard work and time that you have invested in this project.  Could you clear up something for me as I have read it several times and I am a bit confused.

"When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F"

Are you saying get the cabinet temp to 140 and then turn the heater off until it falls to 120 and then crank it up again and hold at 120?  I am just not sure what you are meaning.

Thanks

Jim

I have a PID with a duel element.

What I do is wait till the cabnet temp is to 140 before I place the sausage in, then after the sausage is in the cabnet the temp will fall below the 140 set point, like some wheres around 100. By keeping the set point at 140 the element will stay on longer and climb faster. It only takes 5 to 10 min to get up to 120 this way.

If I turn the set point to 120 right after I put the sausage in it will take the cabnet 20 to 30 min to get settled in as the element pulses allot more as the PID is trying to balance itself out.

Hope this made sense. Its easier to say than type for me.

I got in this habbit form doing 25 lb batches, maybe I should re-wright this part as we are only talking 5 lb here.

Preheat Cabinet to 140 when meat loads in and the cabinet temp drops and recovers to 120 make that your set point
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 06, 2011, 07:42:20 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2011, 06:46:38 PM
Quote from: Sailor on October 06, 2011, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

Stuff and let hang at room temp for 30 min.

When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F

Hold for 1 hr to allow sausage to sweat and the casings are dry to the touch.

After the first hr raise the temp of the smoker to 130 and start the smoke. I like 3 hr Pecan on sausage, after an hr raise temp to 140 and hold till smoke is done.

Now do the poaching thing. I fill the roaster and set the temp to 160 F after the sausage first goes in the smoker.

Oh YA, all my spices are from Penzeys, there the best I've found local.

PS; It took me 1 hr and 10 min to type this,,,,,,,,,,,,man I'm a smokin on this here keyboard.
Curt, thank you for the hard work and time that you have invested in this project.  Could you clear up something for me as I have read it several times and I am a bit confused.

"When the smoker temp is to 140 F place the sausage in the smoker and watch temp, when the temp of the smoker gets to 120 turn it down to 120F"

Are you saying get the cabinet temp to 140 and then turn the heater off until it falls to 120 and then crank it up again and hold at 120?  I am just not sure what you are meaning.

Thanks

Jim

I have a PID with a duel element.

What I do is wait till the cabnet temp is to 140 before I place the sausage in, then after the sausage is in the cabnet the temp will fall below the 140 set point, like some wheres around 100. By keeping the set point at 140 the element will stay on longer and climb faster. It only takes 5 to 10 min to get up to 120 this way.

If I turn the set point to 120 right after I put the sausage in it will take the cabnet 20 to 30 min to get settled in as the element pulses allot more as the PID is trying to balance itself out.

Hope this made sense. Its easier to say than type for me.

I got in this habbit form doing 25 lb batches, maybe I should re-wright this part as we are only talking 5 lb here.

Preheat Cabinet to 140 when meat loads in and the cabinet temp drops and recovers to 120 make that your set point

Like I said after the smoker recovers make your set point 120.

micman

Thanks for printing the recipe, tried a couple dog recipe's, weren't spectacular, I like the sound of your. those are my kind of spices. Going to try it here shortly.

Mick
p.s was just near your state, ran through Sioux City, wanted to get to Nebraska, maybe next year.

OU812

Quote from: micman on October 07, 2011, 11:37:50 AM
Thanks for printing the recipe, tried a couple dog recipe's, weren't spectacular, I like the sound of your. those are my kind of spices. Going to try it here shortly.

Mick
p.s was just near your state, ran through Sioux City, wanted to get to Nebraska, maybe next year.

Give me a shout next time,,,,,,,,we'll make some thing outta it.  ;)

micman

How long do you poach the dogs at 160 for.

Mic

OU812

Quote from: micman on November 10, 2011, 02:09:59 PM
How long do you poach the dogs at 160 for.

Mic

Till the IT hits 152 F ;D about an hr.

Make sure your water is up to 160 and holding before ya put the dogs in.

micman

Thanks 0u812 dogs are smokin and will poach as soon as they come out.

mick

micman

so next question do I have to poach, what is the reason for poaching and barbequing or roasting over and open fire, is that good enough.

mic

OU812

Quote from: micman on November 10, 2011, 04:42:21 PM
so next question do I have to poach, what is the reason for poaching and barbequing or roasting over and open fire, is that good enough.

mic

No you dont have to poach, you can cook all the way in the smoker.

The reason for poaching is to finish cooking in a moist environment and in turn you have a neater looking sausage.

It is important that the sausage reaches a safe internal temperature before its aloud to cool.

bundy

Going to try some of the Hot Ditty Dogs, was wondering if there was a difference in the Non Fat Milk Powder or what I have is Non Fat Instant Dry Milk, which is the flakes should I grind it to powder or will it work like is??????

Thanks

Sailor

I don't think there is a difference.  When I add the non fat milk (flakes/powder) I mix it up in the water before I add my other spices to it.  It gets the clumps out doing it that way.  Good luck on your adventure and don't forget the photos.  We do love photos.  ;D

bundy

Thanks Sailer, will do and try to remember how to do the pics.

bundy

Oh one other thing, what size casings were those? I have some 28mm.

Sailor

The casings were 32mm cellulose.  The cellulose casings are peeled after the sausage is brought up to the proper IT.  I normally finish my hot dogs or Kielbasa in a hot bath and then bloom.  After the bloom I overnight them in the fridge.  Then peel the cellulose casings and have a perfect skinless 1/4 pound monster dog  ;D