first try at curing a ham

Started by beefmann, October 11, 2011, 02:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

well I finally  got up the nerve to try and cure a  ham  and located a recipe  site.. it is a variance on the coca cola ham recipe .. instead i am using orange soda and added  orange blossom honey

here is the  start

2.5 liters of orange soda
2 1/4 cups of salt
5 tbsp garlic
5 tbsp black pepper
4 bay  leaves
1/2 cup orange blossom honey
13 lbs of pork

and yes i did trim the  pork ( forgot to take that  pic )

and into the orange honey brine

SamuelG

Oh yeah!!!! That looks awesome.  You're never going to be the same...

Although when you hit 30+ hours of smoke...some choice words will come to mind.

All worth it!!!!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

FLBentRider

No Cure#1?

I like the flavor combo.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SiFumar

Interesting flavor combo...will be following.  I too was curious about no cure?

beefmann

Quote from: SiFumar on October 11, 2011, 04:55:49 PM
Interesting flavor combo...will be following.  I too was curious about no cure?

have cure ordered and this recipe is from the recipe site  with a two changes...  changed coka cola to  orange,, and added  some orange blossom honey... other then that  it is the same..  more to follow as it i  available

beefmann

and it continues here id the  pork butt out of the brine and rinsed off

then added a rub

rub is
2 tablespoons  sugar
1 table spoon granulated garlic
1 tea spoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

then coated with parsley

gonna  smoke with apple, cherry and maple  for 3 hours and cook at  210 over night and then bump it to  225 till an it of 180

SiFumar

jiggerjams

Did you fry a tester? If yes how was it? Sure looks like you are on the right track!!

beefmann

no i dident fry a  tester, and hope i am on the right track

Tenpoint5

Interesting a hot and fast cook on a ham/butt. I am really curious how the flavor profile will turn out, with the orange soda.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

and the finished product... very tender and i was surprised that there was very  little shrinkage

as I  pulled out the bigger  piece it started to fall apart,,, very juicy and tasty... think i should have used  less salt

anyway  its done

KyNola

Interesting dish.  To what IT did you take the meat?

beefmann

Tenpoint5

That looks good Beefman. Did it have any ham like flavor at all? I am curious since this is basically just a glazed brined pork butt. Not really a Ham at all. I was rather worried at first when I seen the title saying it was a ham and then there wasn't any cure involved. But Looking at the recipe you basically cooked it the same as if you would have been making pulled pork. So there shouldn't be any worries about any nasties forming during the cooking process.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 15, 2011, 09:57:54 AM
That looks good Beefman. Did it have any ham like flavor at all? I am curious since this is basically just a glazed brined pork butt. Not really a Ham at all. I was rather worried at first when I seen the title saying it was a ham and then there wasn't any cure involved. But Looking at the recipe you basically cooked it the same as if you would have been making pulled pork. So there shouldn't be any worries about any nasties forming during the cooking process.

X2
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!