• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking on Cedar

Started by HookedOnMyBradley, October 12, 2011, 01:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookedOnMyBradley

One of my favorite foods to eat is bacon wrapped sea scallops that are mopped with garlic infused butter and cooked low and slow on cedar planks on my outdoor grill.  I was trying to come up with a way to cook those in my smoker instead and wondered if anyone has done anything like this before?  I was thinking of still having them sit on the cedar planks but then add some alder or oak smoke at the same time.  Thoughts, ideas?  My mouth is watering already.  :)

Wildcat

I see no reason why you could not do so. I think a couple of members on here have done salmon on cedar. I personally do not like the taste that cedar imparts, but many do.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't, but I don't think you will get any additional flavor from the plank, it would still make a nice presentation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 12, 2011, 02:03:15 PM... I don't think you will get any additional flavor from the plank, it would still make a nice presentation.

I'd guess the plank would probably block any smoke from adhering to the bottom of the scallops and would probably "grease up" (messy on Mama's table).  If you're going to use the planks for presentation, you might want to smoke direct on the racks and serve on the planks.  Or not.

DTAggie

I have only used the planks in my Weber with charcoal with a few chunks of some hardwood placed on the coals.