• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

couple quick brisket questions

Started by buttburner, October 14, 2011, 01:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttburner

Hi guys, its been awhile.

I have done about everything on my smokers except the holy grail, the Brisket.

Gonna finally do one tonight/tomorrow

I bought a 10lb brisket.

Questions are:

I want to cut it in half and smoke only a half of it. Mostly because its only my wife and I, and I would like to test this out without committing an entire brisket. I am sure it will come out fine, but I really dont want to cook the whole thing. HAs anyone done this or am I crazy?

I am ready for an overnight smoke, I am thinking around 17 hrs? I know it really depends on a lot of things, but does that sound reasonable? Being its only 1/2 brisket, will I wake up and find a wheel chock on my smoker?

What temp should I shoot for the smoker? 200 sound about right?

thanks....

GusRobin

I cook at 225*. Last 12# I did took 17 hrs plus couple of hours for FTC. I would do the whole brisket and freeze what I don't want. Brisket thawed and re-heated in a crock pot or covered pan in the oven with some broth tastes just as good as the original (in my opinion).

Make sure you change the water after the smoke, when you go to bed, and when you get up. (at least that is what I do). It really helps to have a remote thermometer with alarm.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

I agree with Gus.  Leftover brisket is better than the first serving.

IF you still want to cut it, I would separate the point from the flat and cook the flat tonight and freeze the point.  Use 225* in the smoker and take to an IT* of 185* or so then FTC.  Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

buttburner

thanks very much for the expert input!

In my impatience ( I know this is a swear word when it comes to smoking LOL) I went ahead and cut it in half.

I am prepping the flat, the point is going in the freezer.

I understand the point about doing the whole thing and freezing what I am not going to use, I will do that next time.

I guess my only question now is, am I still looking at about  17 hr or so timeframe since I am doing a small brisket? Doesnt really matter, I just dont want to wake up to to a dissapointment. I will check on it through the night.

My wife and my dear old 91yr old mother inlaw are on a plane to visit our daughters in Chicago (I hate that place, too many people!!) so I am in the batchelor pad for the weekend, me and the hounds, a few cases of beer, and a brisket.

All I need is Tigers sweep in Texas ( I am a Michigan boy) and my life will be perfect

;)

Caneyscud

I'd do just the opposite, smoke the point, unless the flat is thick and has some fat.  If doing the flat - be sure to preheat the smoker and smoke on an upper rack.  And no peeking.  I really mean that this time.  And pay attention to the IT - test it at 180 then 185 and take it out when done.  I wouldn't take it to 190 before testing at a lower temp.  Others with more experience with flats might chime in with their techniques.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

buttburner

I am sorry I dont know what I am talking about!

After reading Caneyscuds reply I realised I dont know what the hell I am talking about (dont tell the wife please!!!)

I did not seperate the flat and point.

I just laid on the cutting board took my knife and cut it in half vertically.

I just looked up what the flat and point meant.

Now I know.

A learning experience.

I am sure it will still eat  ;)

Caneyscud

Then you probably did truly separate the point from the flat.  The brisked is two layers of muscle separated horizontally with an oftentimes spongy fat.  What is often sold as a flat is really a half flat.  You probably have a 6 or 7 pound flat.  Same techniques.   Some flats cook flat so be sure to cook by IT.  You might get 1.5 hours per pound. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

buttburner

I see, thanks.

Learning new things every post!

I am just going to cook it and hope for the best. I just put it on.

From my experience, I am confident it will come out fine.

I did see a tip someplace to subsitute the water bowl with a foil pan that fits perfectly on the drip pan and to fill it with boiling water which I just did, seems like an excellent idea which I will use for other smokes.

DTAggie

Buttburner, even though you are a Detroit fan and I will be at the game tomorrow when we close you out, I will still give you advice and wish you luck.  First advice:  Wife is out of town.  You want to smoke a brisket and drink beer per your post.  Why and the he** are you worried about cutting it in half?  Go big or go home (like your Tigers will tomorrow)!!

buttburner

the Rangers deserve it. They are the better team. I have to give them credit after playing through all that heat you had this summer.

the brisket is done. I was suprised when I stuck my temp probe in it this morning, I was thinking I had 4-5 hrs to go yet.

I guess its because I cut it in half, I dont know.

Its still sitting in the smoker.  I will TFC it and see how it is later today

buttburner

I could not wait.

I cut into it just now.

I am here to say this is the best hunk of meat that ever came out of that smoker!!!

its fantastic!!

and it was a select cut. Was a little concerned about that but it was all I could find from my local meat house.

Man gonna eat good now!!!

thanks

DTAggie

buttburner

of course I have a pic!

I love pics of smoked meat, expecially if its mine  ;D

its from my phone, so its not great.

But it tastes great....

GusRobin

Quote from: buttburner on October 14, 2011, 03:19:58 PM
I am sorry I dont know what I am talking about!
Not to worry, as Sonny says" it's dead you can't hurt it."

Here is a good tutorial on briskets
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SiFumar