Salmon- Last minute questions

Started by kickedback, October 18, 2011, 04:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickedback

I've got Kummock's salmon recipe glazing in the fridge w/o a fan right now and looking for any last minute suggestions.  Should I put anything on it pepper, Cayenne ?, and should I stick to Alder or something else to kick it up a notch? Should 22 hours in the fridge be enough fot it to glaze? Got my Dad coming over to preheat the smoke tomorrow while I am at work, the whole while he's laughing at me for asking. Pretty sure I'll be the last one laughing when he's begging me to make some for him. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Keymaster

Sounds like you have done your research. I like Alder for Salmon and have not tried any other woods and don't plan on it ;) I like my Kummock salmon Plain old jane with nothing sprinkled on it but thats me, I can always add stuff later if I decide when Im havin it with crackers and cream cheese :) Make sure your top vent is wide open, and follow the temp and time guides from Kummocks recipe and your salmon will be perfect. Impatience will make you want to crank the heat up to get it done faster, DONT DO THAT unless you like big ole fat bugers oozing out your salmon ;) I never glazed mine in the fridge but 22 hours sounds like plenty. Good luck and if you have a camera throw some pics of that glazing salmon on the forum.

Quarlow

Keymaster has yeah going right. I say stick with the basics at first and adjust on the next batch, this way you get a good I idea of how it is intended and then kick up a notch later. Good luck and don't forget to rotate thoses racks every hour.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.