• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

first time summer sausage

Started by MTFiddler, November 02, 2011, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTFiddler

This recipe is from a friend of mine that loves the outdoors as much as anyone I know.

first the spice recipe for 25#:

1 oz ground pepper
8 oz non iodized salt
2 oz powdered dextrose
1 oz cure #1
1/4 oz ground coriander
1/4 oz ground ginger
1/2 oz mustard seed
1/4 oz granulated garlic powder
3 oz corn syrup solids

the spice mix was added to 14# pork shoulder, 10# deer/antelope mix, and 2# beef trim (adjusted for the weight difference),

ground thru a 3/16" plate on the grinder.  The cure and water mix was then added and the whole batch was mixed in Kirby's 5 gallon mixer (very impressive!!).  Just before loading the stuffer, I added 1# cubed (1/4 inch) sharp cheddar cheese and 1 pint jar of rinsed stuffed green olives. Then came the impressive part, using a 15# cannon that Kirby built for me the mixture was stuffed into 2.5 x 18" fibrous casings. Using the cannon made this a very easy step in the process. (everyone should get one of these, I'm serious, take a look at his links and you won't be disappointed).

I would have taken some pictures of the stuffing but meaty hands and cameras don't mix.

After stuffing into 2.5" fibrous casings I dried them for 2 hours in my proofing cabinet.

after drying then on to the smoker,

I was out of apple so I tried cherry and only smoked for 2.5 hours at 160F.

into the 160F water bath until they reached 152 IT

then everyone in the pool to cool down

notice where the cheese was touching the casings, hot water was able to reach the cheese and dilute it. the cheese inside retained its form.

then back in the proofer with fans running to bloom

next morning came the real test, what did the inside look like?

off to the freezer and looking for a new recipe now.

I'm proud of how this one turned out, thanks to John Wilson for the recipe and many thanks to Kirby for the mentoring and for building me a wonderful cannon!

Lon

pikeman_95

Lon

For the first time out you hit a home run. Lon and his dad take cooking very seriously so he worked hard at getting his sausage done right. I have sampled this batch and it was just fantastic. I know I am going to add this to my recipe file. We can expect to see much more from Lon in the future.
You also did a good jog posting your pictures. We had a quick lesson on posting pictures and apparently he is a fast learner.
Kirby

Sailor

Lon, welcome to the forum.  Fantastic job on the sausage.  Thank you for sharing your recipe and showing us your cook.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Keymaster

ghost9mm

Lon... that is some good lookin summer sausage, really like the looks of the money shot, and welcome to the forum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

MTFiddler

Thanks for the comments and encouragement, I can see that this is going to be highly addictive.

fong0041

What is the cost of a 15# cannon?  BEAUTIFUL looking sausage!

MTFiddler

Thanks. Best way to get the 15# cannon is to contact Pikeman_95 (search members), let him know what you are after (he can make smaller if you're not into the bigger batches) and he can get you a price and list of accessories that go with it.  He is very helpful (and patient).

Lon

fong0041

Thanks Lon.  I've exchanged messages with Kirby in the past.  very helpful guy.  Deer opener is tomorrow in MN!   ;D

Stickbowcrafter

SiFumar

Does that have green olives in it?  Really good looking!

MTFiddler

Quote from: SiFumar on November 07, 2011, 09:56:25 PM
Does that have green olives in it?  Really good looking!

Yea, sorry about that. I edited the post to include that step. 

smokeNcanuck

Really, really like the olive idea.  Nice looking SS
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

SiFumar

I too like the olive idea!  Just had to ask!

watchdog56

How much water did you use in the formula?