Just looking

Started by MrJim, December 24, 2005, 07:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJim

I am researching smokers and the form seems to like theirs. A few people mention Chezbubba , is this a good option? The problems seem to be with motors etc. is this widespread? Are the available after warranty? Also are there problems with the stainless steel ( rusting )? Would I be better with black unit?
What accessories would you suggest ( if any )?

Thanks for any aid you can give.[8)][?]

Jim

nodak

I am also new here but, The bradley smoker is a good smoker for us new to it and have limited time.  And bradley is a good company, some guys will tell you great, but I disagree.  I had trouble and they sent me a new smoke generator right away, but that's what I expect when you pay this much for a new thing that doesn't work!!!  Feel(know) they must have some quality control problems. What is great about the bradley is the guys on this forum, they've been there and done that and are willing to help.  Not sure if any are Bradley employees or get paid(except Chez getting great refferals), but they should or my smoker would have went back right away. These guy have figured out controls to PID's to make this a no worry system, Hope they or chez would put togather how to exactly hook all that up and cheapest prices to get it all and instructions.

I know these guys are going to jump on me for not saying the Bradley company is great, but I think they're only average and met my expectations, not exceeded them.

But like I said these guys on this forum are a wealth of info and advice.  I think Bradley should send everyone who has logged into this forum a free box of pucks, cuz they would have gotten a lot of these smokers returned if they didn't get advice here, mine would have went back immediately. So both the advice givers and seekers deserve a lot from Bradley (would be the least they could do).

Does Bradley monitor this site???  Honestly, Do any of you advanced members or administrators get any kick back from bradley???

Check out Chez's website, he also has some scratched/dented up ones a little cheaper.

Now that I threw a skunk on the table, I'm sure ya'll won't let it lay there.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

manxman

Hi,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">know these guys are going to jump on me for not saying the Bradley company is great,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually, I tend to agree with you Nodak, they are good but not great and there does appear to be an issue with the smoke generator that needs addressing.

I have the SS model and no rust problems, it is over a year old and used in damp UK conditions! I have used Chez Bubba to purchase some accessories off and found him excellent, never heard a bad word at all about him.

Seem to remember Chez posting that the vast majority of the generator failures happen pretty soon after buying the units and the failure rate amongst units over a year old is a lot lower.I had 2 generators replaced under warranty and quite a few people do seem to have problems but it is nigh on impossible to know actually what percentage are involved.

BS are very good to replace faulty units promptly under warranty.

It looks like someone has actually managed to source the advance motor that is at the centre of most of the problems for purchase separately in the US, again see the recent posting on this subject.

As far as accesories go, I would go for some of the smaller meshed (jerky) racks, 2 or 3 bubba pucks and a dual probe thermometer such as the Maverick mentioned elsewhere on the forum in the first instance.

And no, as far as I am aware only Chez has any connection with Bradley! [}:)]

I have had my share of problems but I have not regretted buying one for a moment.

Manxman.
Manxman

IKnowWood

sniff, sniff

I smell skunk, but that's outside.  Early winter time events out there.  

I had mine for a couple months (or 1, I can't remember now) and used it a few times.  I have done a lot of cooking stuff and enjoyed most all of it.

Yes, I agree there are quality control issues and some issues of design validation and test prior to shipment.  I am used to much better, but that's me.  The method of manufactor and assembly is a model that I can sadly say is more becoming the norm than exception.  But the price is higher than the model should suggest.  The model is more for fast and frequent deployment and shippment rahter than quality of product and assurance of reduced failure.

I did have major issues getting my order in process but once I forced things into motion, I have been Ok with the company.   With ChezBubba ordering I have been treated to the quality I expect for the price I pay.  Just understand, he is a re-seller of a product and not a creater of the product.

But still, for what i am able to produce from this easy to use smoker, the results and flexability and variability amaze me.

Kick-backs, I wish.  Of course I am a junior member.  Maybe that check comes when I post more and become an advanced member.  (Or advanced is the person who writes the check, hmmm)

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

owrstrich

my bradley was doa...

heating element was no heat... i had a new element and slide control the very next day delivered by dhl... compliments of bradley of course... thats been almost 2 years ago...

my bradley rides in a dog house of a work trailer and gets hauled up stairs and hauled down stairs and hand trucked here and hand trucked there and gets all kinds of abuse and rough treatment...

it has been checked as luggage on commercial airlines and has traveled 80,000 miles in a trailer on the washboard roads of the great american westcoast... it is dented and scratched and looks like hell and other than that initial doa it has never let me down...

is bradley a great company... hell no...

am i gonna buy another bradley... hell yes...

why... because i gotts to eat and 1 bradley aint enough...

more later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

manxman

The most senior in terms of numbers of postings, and certainly one of the most respected members of the forum (Oldman) took it upon himself to email Wade Bradley regarding some of the issues relating to the smoke generator and as far as I am aware never even received the courtesy of a reply although I am sure Olds will correct me if that information is wrong!?

In some areas they do need to sit up and listen to customer feedback.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But still, for what i am able to product from this easy to use product, the results and flexability and variability amaze me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Perhaps this is the bottom line, I totally agree with this comment.

Manxman.
Manxman

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br /> And bradley is a good company, some guys will tell you great, but I disagree.  I had trouble and they sent me a new smoke generator right away, but that's what I expect when you pay this much for a new thing that doesn't work!!!

<font color="red">tell me what company that will overnight or 2 day air you a new smoke genarator and tell you to keep the old one? any other company would ask you to send the defective one back first then repalce with a new one.</font id="red">

Not sure if any are Bradley employees or get paid(except Chez getting great refferals), <font color="red">Chez gets great refferals because of his own personal deacation to his customers and his time on this forum for free. </font id="red">

I know these guys are going to jump on me for not saying the Bradley company is great, but I think they're only average and met my expectations, not exceeded them. <font color="red">that is your own opinion, and thats ok </font id="red">

Does Bradley monitor this site???   <font color="red">yes </font id="red">   Honestly, Do any of you advanced members or administrators get any kick back from bradley??? <font color="red">NO  and why would you say that? </font id="red">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nodak

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by <font color="red">nodak</font id="red"> and replied from <font color="blue">SMOKEHOUSE ROB</font id="blue">

<font color="red">And bradley is a good company, some guys will tell you great, but I disagree. I had trouble and they sent me a new smoke generator right away, but that's what I expect when you pay this much for a new thing that doesn't work!!!</font id="red">
<font color="blue">tell me what company that will overnight or 2 day air you a new smoke genarator and tell you to keep the old one? any other company would ask you to send the defective one back first then repalce with a new one.</font id="blue">
I'm in sales and this is not unusual, from respectible company's or salesman who want to keep customers or reputations it's just the price of doing business.

<font color="red">Not sure if any are Bradley employees or get paid(except Chez getting great refferals),</font id="red">
 <font color="blue">Chez gets great refferals because of his own personal deacation to his customers and his time on this forum for free.</font id="blue">
Calm down here on Chez, hell I even plugged him if you read my whole reply, and ordered chips from him, my smoker came from cabelas for the simple reason I had lots $'s in gift certificates for them.

<font color="red">I know these guys are going to jump on me for not saying the Bradley company is great, but I think they're only average and met my expectations, not exceeded them.</font id="red">
 <font color="blue">that is your own opinion, and thats ok </font id="blue">
I'll let this one go read the other replies!

<font color="red">Does Bradley monitor this site???</font id="red">
 <font color="blue">yes</font id="blue">
Well they do a poor job of responding to us!!

<font color="red">Honestly, Do any of you advanced members or administrators get any kick back from bradley???</font id="red">
 <font color="blue">NO and why would you say that?</font id="blue">
Cuz I've seen other posts where guys like you either rip another company's product or someone like me TELLING MY TRUE EXPERIENCE!!! and this forum is on their website, so the link is there, and 1+1=2 in my book.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB Check the other posts here, others have some of the same issue's as I do. If I could do it all over again I would still buy one, yeah.  Meanings Bradley monitors this site I wonder if some one will identify themselves with the company and have enough balls to  respond to these issues.  Only thing I found they posted was the recall.  Maybe Chez has some contacts in Bradley that will discuss the issues with us, but from Manxman post that looks doubtful. Maybe I should post an open letter on this forum to Bradley and see if they reply.  If I would've found this website b4 ordering mine I am almost certain I would have been scared off or at least cautious with all the posts I read about something not work the first time they used their Bradley Smoker.  

Rob don't be so defensive, Hope we aren't scaring this poor guy who just asked for some advice.

And to all a Merry Christmas and a good night.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

manxman

To cut to the chase:

Would I buy another Bradley Smoker... without a doubt   <font size="4"><font color="red">YES</font id="red"></font id="size4">

and I suspect most customers, whether members of the forum of not, would say the same despite some genuine issues.

The vast majority of postings on the forum are positive.[;)]

Manxman.
Manxman

car54

I have had my for about 18 months with no problems. Because of the problems that some people have had with the generators, I obtained a replacement motor and installed it even though I was not having problems. It takes between 15 to 30 minutes to install and I recently used it for 12 hours with no problem. The fix works and it only cost about $8.00 with shipping.

<font face="Impact"><font size="6"><font color="red">Would I get another Bradley?</font id="red"></font id="size6"></font id="Impact">    <font face="Lucida Console"><font size="6"><font color="limegreen">YES!!!!</font id="limegreen"></font id="size6"></font id="Lucida Console">

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">The most senior in terms of numbers of postings, and certainly one of the most respected members of the forum (Oldman) took it upon himself to email Wade Bradley regarding some of the issues relating to the smoke generator and as far as I am aware never even received the courtesy of a reply although I am sure Olds will correct me if that information is wrong!?
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> No I did not get a reply to either of the letters sent. However, I did get the same Christmas card from them this year as last year.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">These guy have figured out controls to PID's to make this a no worry system, Hope they or chez would put togather how to exactly hook all that up and cheapest prices to get it all and instructions.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> This information with diagrams and where members are purchasing the parts have been supplied in more than one posting this site.

There was only one employee that I knew who would monitor this site from time to time. However, she is now gone I believe... a shame too.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">tell me what company that will overnight or 2 day air you a new smoke genarator and tell you to keep the old one? any other company would ask you to send the defective one back first then repalce with a new one.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I agree with this statement. I've posted in the past that if it is out there, I've made, stole the idea, or purchased it.  Never have I seen the type of customer service in the area of warranty that I've seen from Bradley. I've purchased 3 units and two generators were replaced.

As to Chez being 1st class it is because he has earned it though his customer service. Doing what he says he will do, and when he says he will do it.

It is a shame that some members here got locked into the waiting game due to purchasing the unit from a reseller who was not in a hurry to ship it out. Seems to me one person a while back posted that after several weeks of waiting he called Bradley and soon after that the reseller shipped the unit. Now if I was to call Ford and complained about the delievery time of a car I doubt seriously that Ford would contact their reseller.

The unit I had before the Bradley...*cough* from the other guy...when I had questions I wrote to the company. Their reply was basicly I did not know what I was doing.... Funny though, since I got the Bradley I must have learn Much-O very quickly as those problems went POOF~~!

Are there items I would like to see added to a "Super Duper Bradley"? Yepper. Let's see... ummm
1. A circulation fan like the one I put in my own box
2. A PID controller with optional wireless controls. nsxbill correct if I'm wrong, but don't you have somewhere around $600.00 in your wireless PID controller?

Cost in parts for these items will run about $200.00 $225.00 for a manufacture if quality items are used. Next, there is the labor charge. Then add 30% to cover FICA, Workman Comp, Unemployment tax vaction, etc. etc... Oh ya let's not forget the cost of a build and equipment needed to put them together and of course there is a item called profit.

For what the unit does, IMO the Bradley is not expensive. Is it possible to create a better "Bradley" with no generator problems... yes. Will it cost a lot more... you betcha.

Basic unit with improved generator (if still made in China)......$450.00
Wireless PID controller.................$600.00
Circulation Fan.........................$150.00

In my humble mind I can see a trouble free Super Duper Bradley costing somewhere betweem $1,200.00 - $1,400.00 in a standard finish.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MrJim

<font color="green"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Thanks for your help.[:D] I am still sitting on the fence as to buying product. It is between a Bradley and Brinkmann</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="green">. [?][?]

Jim
"It is what it is"

iceman

I'd buy the Bradley MrJim. You've seen the support group here. Good grief even the big motor companys don't have people like this all over the world. I just did a generator repair for my buddy next door and it took a whole 15 minutes. His sync. motor and advance switch went out. Cost was a total of 12 bucks all said and done. The unit was less than two years old and we were wondering why it went bad. I mean just because it fell out of the truck going down the road shouldn't hurt things should it? We now joke that the Bradley has been "CRASH TESTED" and keeps on ticking.[:D]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

boxertrio

MrJim

I have owned my BS for about 3 months now with no troubles at all.  The ease of use and hands free operation are the major points that sold me.  I too browsed this forum for quite a while before I bought my Bradley.  I purchased mine at Bass Pro Shops Catalog Outlet as a return(had a dent inside the door). I also use a pit, but it got very labor intensive to do small amounts of meat.  I have done 30lb of butts in my Bradley recently with excellent results.  Only spent maybe 45 min total with the smoker, the rest of the 17 hours was spent playing Ghost Recon II and sleeping!  The pucks used by the Bradley are the genius behind the machine.  With the Brink you will spend alot of time messing with getting your wood just rite and adding here and there.  The smoke flavor that comes out of the Bradley is very clean with no residue.  It is hard to over smoke meat if you read around on the forum and use the recomended amount of pucks (I have smoked meat using wood that will make you fart smoke rings!)  The other major advantage, and one I use alot, is the ease of which you can cold smoke.  For no extra attachments or $ you can smoke cheese, nuts, sausage, bolonga and such.  Speaking of extra's, the only extras I have purchased are bubba pucks, jerkey racks, and a digital thermometer.  So far, for what I do that is all I need.  
I don't have any opinions on the Bradley company as I have not had contact with them.  For the money the Bradley is what I would expect and worth every penny.  I you want a heavy duty, high quality electric look at Smokin Tex 1400, but your going to spend 900$.  The guys and gals on the forum are a wealth of knowledge.  The support offered is great and has helped me out many times.
Hope this helps out a little.

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

IKnowWood

Jim

if you know someone near you with both types, try some meat from both, talk to those LOCAL owners on what they have been able to produce, ease of operations, and cost to results.

Then use your own mind.  Its your decisions and your money and your effort needed to produce what you want to do and when you want to do it.  Opinion is words and varies from one end to the other, decision is your own mind and resolution.  if your decision is based on opinion other than your own, its based on something you do not beleive or take to heart.

Make up your own mind, use whatever toughts to help, but do it yourself.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes