Using Soy Protein

Started by bille, November 08, 2011, 08:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bille

There are truely a great group of talented smokers on this forum, I have vastly increased my knowledge of the art of smoking since I found you folks, I have also gotten some incredible recipes from here.

I am preparing to smoke my first batch of sausage in the coming weeks, my question is do any of you guys use soy protein, I have not seen it in any recipes here, I have insta cure #1, I have read what the purpose for putting soy in sausage is but am wondering what you guys do. I am planning on starting with a simple basic ingredient sausage, I will be using natural casings.

Piker

I use it to help retain moisture in the meat, A good substitute is nonfat dry milk powder. I use about 1/2 cup per 5 lbs. Piker

Stickbowcrafter

I always use non fat dry milk because that's what I have on hand. A big box of it is easy to come by at the grocery store.

-Brian

bille

Thanks guys, Brian I just copied your venison Kielboa recipe and see it had the non fat dry milk, I already have a 1lb bottle of soy protein so I will use it, thanks again for the responses. :)

Bill

Habanero Smoker

The following link is a small list of commonly used sausage ingredients. The internal links don't work, if you click on any of the links it will take you to the first page of the recipe site.

You need to manually scroll up and down to read the list:

Sausage Ingredients

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)