Cleaning

Started by Toffeeman, December 29, 2005, 04:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toffeeman

New to this game so its stupid question time. Don't find the instructions that came with the smoker that clear. When cleaning the main chamber, should you try and remove all smoke residue or is it ok to give a wipe leaving some residue - any suggestion/advice welcome

manxman

Hi Toffeeman,

Welcome to the forum, nice to see people on this side of the pond joining in.

The main chamber rarely needs cleaning at all, the smoke residue is what seasons the smoker and should be left alone. The better the seasoning the better the end product!

The only time the chamber really needs cleaning is if food is spilt or splattered in it, excessive spills or splatters should be cleaned off but if it is cleaned too much the unit will need re-seasoning as per the instructions you get in the BS pamphet.

It is a good idea to wipe the door seal with a damp cloth after use together with the corresponding area on the front of the chamber to ensure a good seal when smoking.I do this each time I use the smoker but others do it less frequently.

All the racks, drip pan, bowl and tray I just bung in the dishwasher. It is the drip pan that is most difficult to clean but there are several posts here on the forum giving advice on that score.

The heater element on the smoke generator benefits from a clean from time to time, I use a fine wire brush but again there are several posting on the forum if you do a search.

If you cannot find the information you require just post a question, there are a host of people only too willing to help.

And don't worry, there is no such thing as a stupid question! I and many others needed their hands held initially.

Have fun..........

Manxman.
Manxman

Toffeeman

JJC

Welcome, Mike!  Manx' advice is spot-on.  I'm a minimalist when it comes to cleaning except for the door/door seals and a quick wipe of the top vent to keep it from sticking. A quick brush-out of the smoke generator ramp also helps keep it operating smoothly. Spray your drip rack with Pam to reduce caking, and just throw everything in the dishwasher, as Manx says.  

Just curious about your handle (Toffeeman)--are you an Everton fan living in Surrey?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">are you an Everton fan living in Surrey?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Are you a soccer fan John?

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

Don't get me started on soccer . . . I may never stop!  But since you asked . . .

My wife still plays 3-4 time per week at age 54--her over-50 women's team represented Massachusetts at the US Championships last summer.  My oldest boy was offered an apprenticeship with Sheffield Wednesday when he was 16 (he's 23 now) and Wednesday was still in the Premiership, but he turned it down to go to college on scholarship.  My middle boy (21) has been a collegiate All-New England selection twice and will captain the Tufts team next year.  My daughter is 15 (10th grade) and already being courted by a bunch of colleges.  Alas, I'm the only one who doesn't play--spinal stenosis and several cervical spine fusions finally put me on the sidelines about 2 years ago.  I still follow the Premiership (my favorite league) religiously, and watch 4-5 EPL matches per week on Fox Soccer Channel.

Better stop now, before I get carried away . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Wow, knew soccer was getting more popular in the US but never imagined it would be that popular with anyone. Very impressive family soccer credentials indeed![:D]

You must be in your element with all the Premiership games over the Christmas and New Year weekends, I am hoping to take my 8 year old to see Liverpool v Manchester City at the end of February as a treat... he is an avid Liverpool supporter and already plays football, field hockey, some tennis and cycling.

Manxman.
Manxman

Toffeeman

Thanks again JJC - yes I'm an Evertonian - I'm impressed. Born in Liverpool and lived in Warrington before moving down south many years ago. Once a Blue always a Blue - unless your name is Rooney!

JJC

Careful . . . we don't want to ingite a Reds vs. Blues war here [:D]

You must have been happy with today's result!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

My son has been very happy with the Liverpool scores recently, particularly the recent Everton v Liverpool one.

However, I must admit to being a Manchester City supporter, suppose I must have a masochistic tendency!![:I] Its a rollercoaster ride to say the least!!

Manxman.
Manxman

Toffeeman

Had no disasters with my smoking so far. Wish I could say the same for my team, 1 step forward and then 3 backwards. Far more exciting down this end of the table though. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum so they say [;)]

JJC

Well, yesterday's results must have warmed your heart, Toffeeman!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Well, yesterday's results must have warmed your heart, Toffeeman!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

pzimmerm

I replaced the top vent screw with a longer screw and a half-inch weak spring. I put double nuts on the screw.  I adjusted the pressure on the vent plate so that it sealed well but did not bind. Now the vent does not stick and I don't have to clean it very often.  I can just wiggle it to break it loose and easily turn it.

iceman

Bingo pzimmerm. I did the same thing on a couple of bradleys only I used a nylok nut instead of double nutting. Sure works nice as far as not having to clean it so much.BTW welcome.