• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I need some quick help on pid

Started by crapshooter, November 27, 2011, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crapshooter

this thing was so confusing trying to set for my first smoke and now I'm convinced I did it wrong. Once it's started can I reset it and do it from the beginning?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Just start over and re do the cycles. Just make sure
You do all 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

crapshooter

I did but now it's not hot at all.  I finally looked in after about 5 hours and it's showing IT of 115 but it's getting no heat at all now.

GusRobin

you have the OBS? If so are the lights on the cabinet bottom? Are all the plugs in tight? i would reset again.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

iceman

If to have the OBS make sure the heat adjustment (slider lever) is all the way over to the high heat position.

crapshooter

Quote from: iceman on November 27, 2011, 05:24:03 PM
If to have the OBS make sure the heat adjustment (slider lever) is all the way over to the high heat position.
Yes, it's the OBS and slid all way to right.

viper125

Plug directly In wall and try see if element is a red or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tiny Tim

Also, try backing the slider off just a touch...some of the switches have a dead spot at full right.

Habanero Smoker

Gus asked a very important question. The answer to that will help narrow down the problem. The question, is the light by the temperature controller on? If it is on then the problem is your heating element. If it is off it could be one of several problems.

Here is a link that may help, or at least narrow down the problem:
FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

crapshooter

I'm not sure what the problem is. I did get it back on but I put the brisket in at 2:00 pm yesterday. Now it's 6:15 am and the temperature is finally up to 187 with IT of 115. I've not opened the door to look at it since the heat came back on because when I opened it to put the brisket in it dropped so drastically.  I have a feeling I've wasted about $30 for a brisket. Should I just keep cooking at this low temperature until it finally gets to 185 IT?

Habanero Smoker

How did you make out?

I would have placed it in the oven, when the problem couldn't be resolved. I don't understand why your temperature is remaining so low.

What was your vent setting?

Was the PID indicator light pulsing off/on or was it glowing steady?

I would run two test one with the PID hooked up, and one with the PID unhooked and run the smoker as it was originally designed. If you get higher temperatures without the PID, then the problem is the PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

crapshooter

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 28, 2011, 01:05:20 PM
How did you make out?

I would have placed it in the oven, when the problem couldn't be resolved. I don't understand why your temperature is remaining so low.

What was your vent setting?

Was the PID indicator light pulsing off/on or was it glowing steady?

I would run two test one with the PID hooked up, and one with the PID unhooked and run the smoker as it was originally designed. If you get higher temperatures without the PID, then the problem is the PID.
The vent was pretty much wide open and the lights on the PID were steady.

Habanero Smoker

It may be that you are not getting enough power to the smoker, for it to run at its full capacity.

Do you have other appliances that are drawing power from that line? That may be the cause. Sometimes a long extension cord, or a cord that has a lower gauge then recommended may cause the problem.

Another possibility is a defective rheostat. I would do the test runs, to make sure it is not the PID. Then give Bradley a call. When you do the test, if you can simulate a load; such as a pan of sterile sand, with about a couple of cups of water would work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

crapshooter

I'm sure it's not the extension cord. I bought the heaviest they had but I'm not sure what else is hooked up to that plug where I put it.  I'll try a test run later when I get time. I've got the brisket wrapped in foil and towel resting in cooler right now. Will see how bad it is later. I know the end was really tough and salty.