New Guy in NEPA

Started by unklechuckles19, December 19, 2011, 05:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklechuckles19

Just figured I'd stop in and say Hi!

I've been reading on the forum for about 2 months now trying to decide which route I wanted to go to break into smoking at home.  I just picked up my early Christmas present (from my parents), an OBS and a variety pack of pucks to get started.  I got everything put together, just need to get all the pans washed up and hopefully I can get a good burn in tomorrow to get everything seasoned and ready to roll.  I have no idea where to start, so I'm sure you'll start seeing me posting many new guy questions all over the forums. 

Next on the list is a PID, dual heating element mod and small fan.  When the time comes for these I'm sure I'll be posting some questions but until then I'm going to start slow. 

Thank you all for the help you provided me just lurking around for the last couple months trying to learn as much as I can about these smokers!!

Chuck

beefmann

welcome aboard Chuck,

start off with something  easy, like a pork shoulder, a basic rub of paprika, granulated Garlic, black pepper and ground mustard, two hours of hickory smoke, Box Temp of 215 to 225, Vent wide open and cook the pork till 190-200 and do  pulled pork sandwiches.

list of items to get

maverick et 732 wireless thermometer
bear paws ( used for  pulling  meat and lifting )

as for the pid and heater mod, great idea, though get the pid with ssr through auber inst. and wire both elements through the ssr for control, and a large enough fan to blow across the heater for best heat recovery... also do not forget about bubba pucks that  save pucks

here is my  heater mod.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.0

again welcome aboard

unklechuckles19

Thanks for the info!! 

I've been searching and reading various reviews for about the last two hours on which thermostat to run with, and that Maverick seems like the most popular, I think that'll be the one, or two that I go with. 

DTAggie

Welcome Chuck, Beefman has you going in the right direction.

Scotty Dog

This hobby is addictive and rewarding.  I hope you have many hours of spare time just to keep up with this forum.  The smoke will flow from your veins.  Best of luck with your projects and enjoy your new life of smoke.

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SiFumar