Help: Smoked Ribeyes

Started by WISmoker, December 28, 2011, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISmoker

Searched a few threads and didn't really find what I was looking for.  I will be doing a "reverse sear" on 4 12oz ribeyes this Saturday.  Any tips would be appreciated.  I have a dual Auber probe and was thinking the following.

Get the cabinet temp to 200 degrees.

Smoke the ribeyes with 2 pucks of hickory. (flip at all?)

Pull the ribeyes when IT hits 115.

Sear ribeyes for 2 minutes per side.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
WISmoker

FLBentRider

That should work. I do the reverse sear on my pellet grill all the time.

You do not need to flip them, IMHO.

I would watch the temps during the sear (I assume you are doing that on a grill) You can go from medium rare to overdone quickly.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TedEbear

Quote from: WISmoker on December 28, 2011, 06:42:01 PMPull the ribeyes when IT hits 115.

Sear ribeyes for 2 minutes per side.

Thoughts?

Remember, you asked.   :)

Leave them in the Bradley until they are done and SAFE to eat.  The USDA recommendation is a minimum of 145*F internal temp for steaks.  But don't take my word for it.  Here's a link to their article on food safety that you and I as taxpayers paid them to do.   ;)

USDA Is It Done Yet

Ka Honu

Habanero Smoker

The USDA internal meat temperature are recommendations. Most restaurants no longer follow those recommendations, and cook food to much lower temperature.

When Is Meat Done?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

They taste much better if you cold smoke the steaks for an hour and then give them a overnight rest in the fridge before grilling. This allows the smoke flavor to mellow out some and absorb into the meat some IMHO.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 29, 2011, 02:21:04 AM
The USDA internal meat temperature are recommendations. Most restaurants no longer follow those recommendations, and cook food to much lower temperature.

The USDA safe temp guidelines were updated in May of this year.  It is not some ancient article from years ago that I dug up.  People are free to undercook their foods at whatever temp they want but I'll stick to the USDA recommendations until they suggest otherwise.  If you have an official source please post the link. Even the one you posted recommends 145*F minimum internal temp by the USDA.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on December 29, 2011, 07:21:26 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 29, 2011, 02:21:04 AM

The USDA safe temp guidelines were updated in May of this year.  It is not some ancient article from years ago that I dug up.  People are free to undercook their foods at whatever temp they want but I'll stick to the USDA recommendations until they suggest otherwise.  If you have an official source please post the link. Even the one you posted recommends 145*F minimum internal temp by the USDA.

Yes I know it was updated, and the chart was updated at that time. I'm very familiar with those recommendations, and those recommendations have been around for awhile, and are periodically adjusted. A few years back they lowered the recommended internal temperature of poultry to 165?F. I do agree with you that unless it is unsafe, people are free cook their food to their desired doness, and at their own comfort level.

To understand the chart better, the first temperature column is the recommended USDA temperatures, so the 145?F is noted in that column; along with footnote #2 "The USDA recommends that whole muscle meats be cook to at least 145?F, including pork;......"; as per the USDA recommendation. If you look to the column to the right of it, that includes other internal temperatures that are commonly used and are safe. So the chart is to give people choices. If you want to stick with the USDA recommendations, then use the first temperature column.

If you look at the bottom of that article/chart, you will find a link to the USDA. Also there are at least 7 other sources that are listed at the bottom of the article you can reference to for the other internal temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kickedback

I'm with Ka Honu. Cold smoke, seal up overnite, and grill. Can't go wrong there.

WISmoker

Cold smoke meaning....???  Sorry.  Still pretty new.

Ice in the bowl.  No water?

What temp should I set the Auber at?   3 pucks o' hickory the night before eh?

Sounds good.

Thanks guys!

WISmoker

GusRobin

I put water in the bowl because the pucks are still hot. The PID is not used since in a cold smoke you will only use the smoke generator. If you don't have a cold smoker adapter than you can put a pan of ice on the bottom rack.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 29, 2011, 01:35:31 PMTo understand the chart better, the first temperature column is the recommended USDA temperatures, so the 145?F is noted in that column; along with footnote #2 "The USDA recommends that whole muscle meats be cook to at least 145?F, including pork;......"; as per the USDA recommendation. If you look to the column to the right of it, that includes other internal temperatures that are commonly used and are safe.

I studied the chart and read through the footnotes at the bottom.  I don't not see anywhere that says the lower temps are safe, just "Commonly Used".  Maybe I overlooked it.

As I study the charts I think of these different temps as posted speed limits.  There are the studies the highway engineers did to determine the maximum safe speed to drive on a particular road and that's the posted speed limit.  As we all know, that isn't necessarily the speed many people drive.  Sure, we probably won't get into an accident but is it really safe to do so?

thirtydaZe

throw them babies on a charcoal grill with a lump of oak or hickory.  they'll flavor nicely!

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 28, 2011, 08:38:03 PM
Cold smoke, then grill.

Not trying to hijack but how long do you guys cold smoke your ribeyes?  Have done salmon in the past and totally agree with the overnight resting period.

Ka Honu

I usually cold-smoke steaks in the OBS for 2 pucks (40 minutes), sometimes 3.  Then cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.