Previous topic - Next topic

rigstar

thanks JZ,
i have read about the fan mod for the 900W finned heater,
i think that is a good idea as well for the dual element,
thanks for reminding me about the fan
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

beefmann

adding a fan or blower to move the air in the box is a  huge help ... by  keeping the  temps  even through out the box

Fernslinger

They have this stuff @ Lowes...used some to wrap exposed ducting im my garage instead of fiberglass. I might try making a removable sleeve for my smoker using that stuff...

JZ

I am trying my first ribs today and the outside temps are -27*C.

I figured I would give my snuggie a shot at it (but didn't expect it to be good enough in these temps).

I was pleasantly surprised. I preheated the smoker to 220* with a bowl of hot water in it and when I loaded the meat I added a brick that was heated on top of the wood stove. The temps dropped to 200* and held there for quite a while and then surprisingly the temps started increasing and after about an hour they got up to 220*. At 2 hours I opened the door and rotated the racks. Closed the door and the temp only dropped to 208* then started climbing back up. I did not expect it to work this well with the outside temps being as low as they are.

That's the good news ---- the bad news is that the SG did not advance the pucks every time and I had to check it every 20 mins. Sometimes I would have to push the puck advance button twice to get the puck moved. Called Bradley and they suggested cleaning the SG, which I will do once I am finished with the ribs. Gotta go and get them out now to put in foil and then back into the DBS.

Habanero Smoker

After cleaning it, don't use any oil on the moving parts. I use powdered graphite. In cold weather it doesn't thinken like oil, or will it collect wood particals that can gum up your system.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Thanks for the pointer Hab's. I cleaned it out and tried it again this morning. Same thing.

I noticed that when I hit the advance button the slider / pusher seems to be binding on the return movement and sometimes will not retract all the way and as such the puck cannot fall down and get pushed forward.

I will take it apart one more time and see if I can find what is causing the binding. If I can't see the problem and determine a fix I will call Bradley.

Is there a way to run the SG without having it connected to the tower? It is -25C outside and I really don't want to be working on this outside. If not I will  have to carry the whole works into my shop.

Habanero Smoker

You may also want to check the linkage, to see if that may be loose and causing the binding.

The only other way I know how to test the advance mechanism in the digital; other than to have it connected to the cabinet, is to us a bypass plug. If you ordered the cold smoke adapter, a bypass plug comes with that.

Or you can make one:

Bypass Plug

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)