Smoked Bread

Started by Trakkat78, January 04, 2012, 05:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trakkat78

Hello everyone!
   Yesterday, I did a search on the net for a smoked bread recipe but could not find any.  Has anyone ever tried to smoke/cook a regular bread in his OBS??  I have seen breads cooked with smoked flour but I would like to create something like a bread cooked in a wood oven.

My smoker is the Original Bradley smoker modified with a PID controller and a secondary heating element.  If I try to crank the heat up to 350oF, my guess is the overheat protector will blow.

How about rising the dough in the smoke chamber before cooking it in the regular oven??  I need your input on this!

OU812

Just my thoughts on this one.

Cold smoke the dough during the first rise at 80 F then after the first rise do it just like you would do bread.

Gots my thinker A thinkin.  ;D

Smokin Soon

Really do not think the Bradley is good for bread at all. Have had some good results in a pellet grill, as it has more of a convection type cook, but still cannot compare to a true wood fired oven.

La Quinta

trak...I like the idea of letting the bread proof in the smoker...hell...give it a try...maybe try it in a baggette pan (the one with the holes in the bottom) to a proof heat with a puck or 2 of a nice mellow wood...then put it in the oven and bake normally...

I am gonna try this...

Habanero Smoker

I always cover my dough when proofing to prevent the top layer from drying. If you proof it in the Bradley maybe a coat it with a thin layer of canola oil would be useful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Yes...just like you would proof it in a bowl...in a warm space...

Trakkat78

Humm...  I tried to smoke the flour instead.  Tried a bread recipe but the dough did not rise at all...  Maybe the smoke is killing he yeast or my flour was too old.

OU812

Quote from: Trakkat78 on January 10, 2012, 06:41:07 AM
Humm...  I tried to smoke the flour instead.  Tried a bread recipe but the dough did not rise at all...  Maybe the smoke is killing he yeast or my flour was too old.

Have you made this bread recipe before?

Have you made bread with this same flour?

I wouldnt smoke the yeast.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Trakkat78 on January 10, 2012, 06:41:07 AM

There may be something to your statement. Smoke does have antimicrobial properties.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TMB

I wonder if you proof it while adding smoke near the end of proofing then take it to an oven for baking?

I like to proof my bread near the 90 to 95 temp mark if possible, the Bradley should be close to this temp with just the smoke generator rolling.     

I am with Hab on rubbing a little oil on the ndough before proofing.

Dang it,  now I'm getting the urge to bake a smoked loaf of bread   ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Trakkat78

Hello again everyone!
  Success!!  I redid my homework and just got two loafs out of the oven and let me tell you, they taste great!

From my previous bread baking experience, I trashed my flour bag and modified the quantities a bit.  Here is my recipe, I hope you will enjoy!

1 1/4 cup of 2% milk
2 Tablespoons of Shortening (Crisco here in Canada)
1 Egg, beaten with a fork
3 3/4 cups of all purpose flour (In USA, use Bread Flour because All Purpose will yield poor result)
2 Teaspoons of salt
2 Tablespoons of white sugar
2 teaspoons of Bread Machine Yeast

All Right!  Here is the preparation.

Start your OBS with the back heating element completely off.  You do not want to cook the flour.  Temperature should not exceed 100oF.  Damper fully closed

Place 1 3/4 cups or 2 cups of flour in a shallow dish and smoke for 1 hour using only the smoke generator.  I used Oak Bisquettes.  Stir the flour every 20 minutes to increase smoke penetration.

Once done, remove and let cool.

I used a bread machine for the dough preparation.

Heat the milk and the shortening in the microwave for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir the milk to completely dissolve the fat.  Add the beaten egg and mix. (Warning: If the milk is too hot, it will cook the egg)

Pour the liquid in the bread machine bowl.  Add the smoked flour and the regular flour to obtain a total of 3 3/4 cups of flour.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl in order and making sure the yeast does not come in contact with the salt.

Activate the dough cycle on your bread maker.

Once done, remove the dough and knead lightly on a floured surface.  Place the dough into one 12" x 5 1/2" bread pan or two 9" x 5" bread pans.  Prove the dough for 60 minutes.  (I placed it in the oven with the light on)

After that period, turn on the oven at 350oF for about 32 minutes if you used the big pan and about 27 minutes if you use two small ones.

Enjoy!

TMB

Wow great thread!   Good info
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

La Quinta

I am going to try to proof the bread dough in the smoker (with smoke)...and then cook it in the house oven...I think any microbes will be cooked in the house oven...

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you figured it out. What type of bisquette did you use?

Even if you are only smoking for one hour with the generator attached to the smoker, you should not fully close the vent. You should open the vent far enough so that you do not see any smoke backing out of the generator. Smoke and moisture will backup into your generator and over time will cause damage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

I am not sure who that post was for Habs? Trakk? With smoking flour? Or me with smoking dough?