• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need some direction / HELP

Started by mikecorn.1, January 20, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Co-worker is doing sausage for first time. Going to be 60/40 pork/venison. Pork will be wild hog (very lean). Will be using fresh hog casings.
Will he need to cut in more fat? He is using a new cookshack electric smoker. I know all smokers are different.
What temps and time should he be
Shooting for. IT? cure or no cure? I dont know the first thing about sausage making.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Waltz

Mike,
I would say you want to add some fat to the pork/venison meats. Commercial pork shoulder is as lean as you want to go at about 12% but an 80/20 meat fat ratio is good, not sure how you would judge that though, perhaps cook a small trial portion before stuffing to test bite and taste.
For smoking you do need to add some cure, cure No.1 at rate of 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat and aim for an IT of 150F.

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

3rensho

He'll definitely need to add fat.  I make my sausages 70% meat and 30% fat.  Fat cooks out and keeps sausages moist.  I've used lower percentages of fat but for my taste 30 is good.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pensrock

agree, add fat, IT of 152, add cure. Try to keep the smokehouse temp below 160-165F.

mikecorn.1

When would be the best time to check IT. Do keep a thermometer I'm it the whole time.

Mike

Waltz

I leave the thermometer in all the time, that way you don't have to open the door to check. (Digital thermometer obviously. If you have the dial type someone else will have to comment)

mikecorn.1

Thanks for all the info. Relaying it to him as it comes in.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

80/20 lean to fat

I dont keep a temp probe in the meat, gives false reading and acts as a heat sink.

mikecorn.1

Do you use the same ratio of pink salt as you would cure #1. What is the difference in the two?

Mike

squirtthecat

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 20, 2012, 10:46:16 AM
Do you use the same ratio of pink salt as you would cure #1. What is the difference in the two?

They are the same thing.   Cure #1, Pink Salt, Prague Powder..   I'm sure there are a 1/2 dozen names for it.

Kevin A

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 20, 2012, 07:02:48 AM
Shooting for. IT? cure or no cure? I dont know the first thing about sausage making.
Cure: 1 level tsp of Cure#1 per 5lbs of meat

With 'wild meat,' I'd only try for an IT of 160° due to the risk of  trichinae.
Others may be okay for a lower temp (which may be fine in most cases), but for peace of mind, I prefer to aim higher to ensure a safe product.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/poultry-and-game/game

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Kevin A on January 20, 2012, 10:49:40 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 20, 2012, 07:02:48 AM
Cure: 1 level tsp of Cure#1 per 5lbs of meat

With 'wild meat,' I'd only try for an IT of 160° due to the risk of  trichinae.
Others may be okay for a lower temp (which may be fine in most cases), but for peace of mind, I prefer to aim higher to ensure a safe product.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/poultry-and-game/game
Cool site. Nice info.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

1 Level tsp per every 5 lbs of meat

I do IT of 152-155 regardless of the meat used.

But i been doing this for like years so do what your comfortable with.

mikecorn.1

One last thing. Question / comment. Once you get to desired IT, 150-160 according to previous  posts. would it be safe to consume at that time or would you need to do additional cooking later. Would you vacuum seal and freeze. Thanks

Mike

Kevin A

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 20, 2012, 12:10:39 PM
Once you get to desired IT, 150-160 according to previous  posts. would it be safe to consume at that time or would you need to do additional cooking later.
Safe to eat.
Fry 'em, nuke 'em, or throw 'em on the grill if you want grill marks or a char!

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 20, 2012, 12:10:39 PMWould you vacuum seal and freeze.
Depends on how much I make or how fast I expect the batch to disappear.