• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Kirby Does It Again!

Started by Habanero Smoker, February 23, 2012, 02:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

It started out by me looking for a better way to emulsify sausage. Over the years I did this through small batches (1 - 1.25 lbs) in my 11-cup food processor. This was time consuming, and putting too much wear and tear on the processor. So I began looking at other ways I could emulsify 5-6 pounds at a time. Emulsifying larger batches at a time is important, since I plan on making more emulsified sausages this year.

One of the options I was looking at was the 2-gallon Kirby Meat Mixer. I sent Kirby an email explaining the method I use to emulsify sausage, and asked if his meat mixer would fit that bill. He replied back that he could sharpen the blade, and that would work better than the blade's current design. I then sent him another email asking if I put the drill in reverse would that mix the meat like the original meat mixer was designed to do. He replied no; since the back of the blade was not shaped like the one on the meat mixer, and you need to run the drill forward to keep the fittings tight.

He didn't leave it at that. He stated he could make a reversible blade, that had a rounded edge for mixing meat, and a sharp end for emulsifying. So he modified the blade in a way that I can flip it over so while running the drill clockwise I can either mix or emulsify. I'm continuously amazed by Kirby's inventiveness and innovative genius.

Yesterday at about 4:30PM, the FedEx truck pulled up and delivered it. I took a quick look and I'm very pleased with how it is constructed, and sure it will do a good job of emulsifying, and mixing also. I hope to get a chance to make some sausage by the end of next week.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures. I'll try to get some pictures posted this afternoon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

carnie1

He da man!!!, I'll be interested to see those pictures

Smoke some

ExpatCanadian

Definitely interested in this too.  I was planning on buying a food processor for this, but this may be a better option.

viper125

Definitely going to get one some day! Right now I'm stuck doing small batches at a time and the old fashion way.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

It's 2:39 pm central time. You got those pics yet? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Sorry!

I got tied up in another project. I'll get them posted tomorrow morning.

ExpatCanadian;

With a processor I can only process about 1 pound at a time. I'll be trying this out by the end of next week, so I can give you a report. I'm sure it will work beyond my expectations.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pikeman_95

OK guys
For you that already have one of my mixers. Get your hands on a Dermal tool and a rotary cutting bit and add a second set of locking groves facing the opposite direction and then buff the back surface of the blade so that it is rounded. When you want to mix flip the blade and run the blade with the round edge forward. When you want to emulsify run the sharpened edge forward. To improve the emulsification take the blade and use a bench grinder to get it as sharp as you can. I have not until now sharpened them to a complete sharp edge. They are close but not as sharp as they could be. Remember you are working with plastic here and can only get it so sharp.
Kirby

Habanero Smoker

I'll post pictures of the full setup tomorrow. For those that already have the Kirby Meat Mixer here are a few pictures of the blade. Sorry about the quality.

The blade is shown the meat mixer side up.

Here is the blade assembled for mixing meat.

The blade is shown the sharp end (emulsifier) side up.

Here is the blade assembled for emulsifying meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

That is awesome Kirby!  8)

Thanks for sharing Habs. I can't wait to hear how you make out with it.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

So what is the difference in mixing and emulsifying meat. :)

Mike

seemore

Mike,
When making brats or sausages, the ingredients are mixed and blended without a change in the texture of the meat.
When you make hot dogs, you need to blend the ingredients with the meat to produce a fine, almost liquid-like texture.  That is the emulsification process.
seemore

mikecorn.1

Quote from: seemore on February 23, 2012, 05:31:42 PM
Mike,
When making brats or sausages, the ingredients are mixed and blended without a change in the texture of the meat.
When you make hot dogs, you need to blend the ingredients with the meat to produce a fine, almost liquid-like texture.  That is the emulsification process.
seemore
Thanks!!  Getting learned is good :)

Mike

Habanero Smoker

To add to Seemore's post, some do this by regrinding the meat, but I like to do it by processing the meat with a blade. The blade does a better job for emulsifying. You just have to be careful processing with a blade to make sure the mixture does not warm any higher then 60°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 23, 2012, 12:57:53 PM
With a processor I can only process about 1 pound at a time. I'll be trying this out by the end of next week, so I can give you a report. I'm sure it will work beyond my expectations.

Thanks Hab, I'll look forward to it!

mikecorn.1 - Emulsification is by definition the mixing of 2 things that wouldn't normally mix together....  think water and oil....  then think of milk, which is a mix of milk fat and water (with proteins and other stuff that coat the fat molecules to allow them to stay suspended in the mixture without separating).  Emulsification from a sausage making point of view is essentially the same thing, fat + protein + water....  it can be tricky if not done correctly, the end result should be a nice smooth uniform paste.  But, overmix...  or let the mixture get too hot and it "breaks" and the fat separates out again and there's nothing that can save it!

Commercially they use one of these: - A bowl cutter... with the additional of crushed ice to keep it cold.  I have a friend who had a small one of these which her father had in his butcher shop years ago, but would you believe she threw it out (before I knew about it) because she never used it!!!  :o :o :o

But...  for the home user, they aren't exactly affordable, and using a food processor to do it is a pain... which is why I am super curious to see if this Kirby option will work!