• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

bubbagumps custom PID

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, January 31, 2006, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Now that is what I call,as EXCELLENT EXPLANATION!Now gary_Co when yours is ready,please send me your wiring instructions,and the placement of your temp sending unit,length of thermocoupler,ect! I have a drill,dremel,and a huge Craftsman toolbox loaded with "goodies",(my way of getting even with the wife,she spends for shopping,I spend for the toolbox)and I welcome an afternoon of tinkering,as long as I have a diagram to see,and understand,,,,,thanks,and keep me updated as to your progress,and results please,,,

"PINK"-the only way,to devour a steak!

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br /><b>THOUGHT:</b>
<b>WHAT IF:</b> You placed  a Single Pole Double Throw Switch between the fuse <font color="brown">(brown dashed line)</font id="brown"> and wired one side straight to the receptacle on the rear of the smoke generator, The other would feed the SSR.
This way, when it was in one position it would feed the tower just like the OEM wiring and still let you see the temp that the PID was seeing but without the PID being in control.
This would let you set the temperature you wanted on the PID <i>( for the first smoking step)</i> and still do a fast Pre-Heat to a higher temp than the PID is set for.
Then when you load the BS up and flip the switch to PID to control what you want your smoke temperature to be. As we all know, Once we open the door and load the BS, the Temperature is going to fall into the basement for a period of time. This would help overcome this problem.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><b>ChefBill</b> - This is exactly how I wired mine. Check the pics, it shows the switch on the back of the smoke generator.

<b>From Gary_CO:</b>  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A fancier type controller is a PID unit. PID stands for "proportional, integral, derivative". These units are different from the standard controllers in that they work like rheostats (dimmers) and thermostats at the same time. So while the controller is turning on/off the heating element, it is also adjusting the amount of current going to the heating element. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Gary - Just to clarify one thing, the PID does not act like a rheostat as it does not vary the amout of current going to the heating element like a rheostat does. It cycles the heating element off and on repeatedly through a relay to maintain setpoint. The rate at which it cycles the heating element is dependent on mathematical calculations the PID performs, as you mention.

Bubbagump

nodak

Good Job gary_CO.

Last night I just had a conversation with olds about having two people post a review on his site with diagrams one for TS and one for PID.   This would be similar to nsxbill's on the Guru Raptor competitor and Procom4, http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29&highlight=guru.
I know I had trouble trying to figure this all out and still am, I bought the raptor but had trouble so I was going to do the TS until I found the PID from Auberin and Bubbagumps guidance.  Will hopefully get my PID wired this weekend into a project box.  

Gary did you try the TC from Auberin's?  Bubbagump said he was having trouble and put his Omega on it.  I ordered one from Omega today, also a 10ft extension wire(cord) for $15,  so I can put it inside with warm enough ambient operating temps in winter.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

gary_CO

Continued thanks, bubbagump. I wondered how the amount of current could be varied, but I know so little about all this. I think I'll modify my installation to include the double-throw switch you and Chefbill have mentioned. I simply didn't know how to wire one in.

Roadkill,
I've thought about taking pics and writing up a document on my adventure. I think it might be helpful to others. But I'd feel cheap doing so, cause none of this, repeat NONE, is based on my ideas or knowledge. I just took what others have said, especially bubbagump, and will use their knowledge to imitate their design.

If you'll go back and read this whole thread from the beginning, I think you'll see the steps involved. On page 3, I posted a wiring diagram that I believe is accurate. That's what I'll use when I hook mine up. Thanks to bubbegump's continued advice, I believe it is correct. His design is so elegant; I just have to duplicate it :)

I may go back and edit the wiring diagram to incorporate the additional switch bubbagump and Chefbill discussed. I know the drawing doesn't follow standard rules for schematics, but it's the best I can do with the software I have.

As bubbagump mentions early in this thread, if you plan on installing everything inside the smoke generator - space is tight, so plan ahead. Last thing you'd want to do is cut holes, install everything, and then find out parts won't fit back together. Not that I've ever done anything like that...

Since I've already drawn most of the parts, I'd be glad to make up another diagram that shows wiring for making the "separate project box" as opposed to installing in the smoke generator – if it would help some people. I like dinkin' around with the drawing software!

nodak,
No I haven' tried the Auber thermocouple. I just don't have much faith in it, based upon what others have said about similar ones. I figure I'll keep it as a spare.

----
A huge thanks to bubbagump for educating me on this stuff. It's his knowledge!

nodak

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Since I've already drawn most of the parts, I'd be glad to make up another diagram that shows wiring for making the "separate project box" as opposed to installing in the smoke generator – if it would help some people. I like dinkin' around with the drawing software!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Go for it! Sounds great, I was just doing square boxes in my diagram, I also included a fuse in my project box.

I might try the Aubrin TC this weekend if the weather stays above 0F and if my E-73 shows-up so I can comfortabley smoke overnight a brisket from when we butchered.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

bubbagump

Gary,

What software are you using for your drawings.

Thanks,

Bubbagump

gary_CO

It's Adobe Illustrator. Great for illustrations, but not so great for flowcharts and diagramming (i.e. if you move an electrical component around the wires won't "reshape" with your changes like Visio or OmniGraffle [my favorite, but it's macintosh only]).

gary_CO

Here's an attempt at a diagram for wiring the Auber components into a project box:

nodak

WOW, That was fast!!!!  Thanks for the fuse this way I only need one cord and TC out the garage door in winter and can use it for something else to.  HMMM maybe I need to start on an exhaust fan so I can just leave it the garage[:0][:D]

Now my next STUPID questions are what gauge wire should I use and should it be solid or stranded wire[?]

Thanks Everybody,
Mike H

PS

Roadkill

gary_CO,
 Your very fast,becoming a Bradley Smoker Idol,an ICON,hero worship figure here!Hope your ready to accept this heavy burden the rest of your life!! Your The Man!! I think the cash will be departing from my wallet much sooner than expected now,as Easter is not that far away,and I will need practice before then,,,,thanks.

gary_CO

Thanks for the compliment, Roadkill. All I did was draw a couple of pictures. Bubbagump is the guru on this stuff.

lvigil

I have been amazed by the creativity on this forum!!!  I have been wanting to install a PID on my smoker and this is absolutely the best stuff..

Now...  I just want to buy a pre-packaged deal.  -- Plug and play-- essentialy one where it has already been put together.  all i have to do is plug it in.

Watch Out!! Hot and Spicy (&lt;:}
New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"

Roadkill

gary_CO,Yes,a picture slide show,so to speak,would be excellent,along with the schematic drawing you produced. Actual visual pictures,possibly as each individual piece is installed and wired,for us electrically challenged guru's! Who do I make the check out to??

bubbagump

Gary,

Excellent job on the drawings! Very clear and easy to interpret. I gotta get me that software.

Bubbagump

gary_CO

Illustrator is good software, but can be rather pricey. You might consider looking for a deal on "Corel Draw". It does just as much, Corel throws in a lot of handy extras, and you can usually find a really good deal on it - especially if you look for the previous version.

Hey Nodak,
I plan on using 14 gauge wire. At least that's what I think I have. Mine is stranded...

Dang it's cold here. 13 below. If I have to go back outside, I'm going to set myself on fire!