bubbagumps custom PID

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, January 31, 2006, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

Thanks TG, I see the reason now. That is why I installed the switch on the puck advance motor. This way I can turn it off and leave the puck heater on. The puck heater, at 125 watts, will add an additional 25% more heat to the box.

Bubbagump

nodak

Houston I have a problem.

I hooked up the the PID as in the PID project box diagram,  But when I went to test this and plugged in my burner I blew the 1 amp slow blow fuse as soon as I plug in the burner.  Should the fuse be on the line going to the PID only and the wire to SSR come in direct off the hot wire before the fuse?  Do I really need this fuse??

Thanks

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

gary_CO

Where did the 1 amp fuse come from? I know the Auberin manual suggests that for the PID, but that would be for the PID only. What does the main heating element pull, like 400 watts. So that's over 3.5 amps.

Based on what Bubbagump and Auberin said, I'd put the factory issued fuse back in and ditch the 1 amp one...

nodak

Gary my PID didn't come with a factory supplied fuse, Our you talking about the one in the smoke generator?  I put my PID in a project box.  I'm putting this 1 amp 250v slow blow fuse where you drew it in. I think the wire to the SSR shouldn't be on the fuse side just the wire to the PID should be fused??? Maybe I was supposed to put some other fuse in where you drew it?

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

gary_CO

Oh, sorry about the confusion. I'd replace the 1 amp with the same size fuse that is in the smoke generator. I can't remember what size it is but my fading memory recalls it is a 10 amp fast-blow fuse. I would think any place that sells fuses  (convenience store?) would stock that size.

If you're running the project box straight from an AC outlet, I'd sure want it fused. If you have it plugged into the smoke generator, then the generators fuse should suffice...

nodak

I would say I'm the confused one.  As soon as it blew and I looked at how the wires ran I knew why it blew, amps to high.  Will just use the one amp for PID meanings I have it and use back of generator til I get a higher amp one.  I messed this one up.

Thanks for the help

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br />I think the wire to the SSR shouldn't be on the fuse side just the wire to the PID should be fused??? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

NO. You need to put the fuse in series with the heating element on the load side of the SSR. In the event of a short this will protect your SSR as well as the wiring. <u>Do not</u> use a slo-blow fuse. The fuse in the project box can be slightly smaller than the one in the smoke generator since it won't be carrying the load from the puck heater.

Bubbagump

gary_CO

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You need to put the fuse in series with the heating element on the <b>load side</b> of the SSR.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So what I gather from your comment means the drawings I put on page 3 & 6 are incorrect as far as the fuse and the heating element. I'm having a tough time trying to visualize how to only use one fuse to protect both the PID and the SSR...

...or maybe I'm being too literal, thinking you mean "fuse the AC line coming from the post labeled 'Load' on the SSR.

I'm having a tough time explaining myself here...

nodak

Gary I'm alittle confused too. I know nothing about electronics but household wiring I am more familiar at.

Here is what I'm going to do:

Using the 1 amp slow blow fuse for my PID.  I will wire a 20amp fuse on load side of my 25 amp SSR to protect it when I get time to pick one up. I put my PID in a project box to set inside for below ambient operating temperatures and  as I may use my pid for other things.  But if your putting yours inside the Generator and using their current fuse on load side you should be protected. You may want to add the 1 amp slow blow fuse for wire to PID if your worried about protecting it as I did.  Guess for as cheap as PID is if it shorted out it wouldn't be the end of the world, But could be inconvenient.  

Bubbagump how does this sound???

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br />You may want to add the 1 amp slow blow fuse for wire to PID if your worried about protecting it as I did.  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As I mentioned in another post putting a 1 amp slo-blow fuse ahead of the PID does not provide any protection for it. Just make sure you have the appropriate size fuse for your load in series with the output of your SSR. This will protect your SSR and wiring from short circuits or overloads. Also, make sure you use a <u>fast-blow</u> fuse.

Bubbagump

nodak

A word of advice for anyone building a PID that smokes in cold weather.  Don't use an AC cord as they get stiff in cold weather, find one of those heavy extension cords that stay flexible in subzero temperatures.  I had to wrestle mine this morning and if you touch the cord My pid would get knocked off the stand and crash to the floor(luckily it has survived, I think).

bubbagump

<br />A word of advice for anyone building a PID that smokes in cold weather.  Don't use an AC cord as they get stiff in cold weather, find one of those heavy extension cords that stay flexible in subzero temperatures.  I had to wrestle mine this morning and if you touch the cord My pid would get knocked off the stand and crash to the floor(luckily it has survived, I think).
Good advice nodak. Hope everything is O.K. with yours.

Bubbagump

begolf25

Tom,
Could you drop me an email if you have the time?  I really like your set up and would like to put something together like this for my Bradley.  The email system on this forum is working right now but you can email me @ [email protected].

Thanks in advance.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>
<br />Nodak, if you're going to do a project box installation the only other things you will need are a box[:)], a small(4 lug)terminal bar, and a heavy duty extension cord(I used a cut in half, 10' air conditioner cord).

Also checkout Sam's earlier link. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2552 You're wiring with the SSR drive PID will be slightly different but his diagram should give you a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Totally agree with BubbaG about the thermocouple, it's marginally adequate, but for $5 you can't go wrong.

MRH

The wife is gonna kill me!!![:D]  After reading this thread I can see I will have to build one of these too. She is gonna say you have only used it once, and now it will cost more!!!!

This forum is great!!
Mark

car54

MRH,

For the price of a PID it will make your Bradley a joy to use. I basically get no temperature deviation with mine. Also, I can start a long smoke at night and go to sleep without checking on it. I can go somewhere for hours with no problem. The PID is such a good add on and that is why Bradley is offering it on the new smokers. I believe it is because of this forum that they are doing it.

Brad