bubbagumps custom PID

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, January 31, 2006, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary_CO

"Yea" on what car54 said! I like dinking with stuff, but it's nice to know my newly PID controlled BS will take care of everything excellently, and I can go to bed when I want to. I feel like a broken record, but I have to once again thank bubbagump (and others) for sharing his knowledge and encouragment on the subject. Without that, I wouldn't have considered it.

I made an earlier promise to share how installing a PID like bubbagump's setup went for me and I still plan to do so. It will just take a little time to put together. Gotta say that I think it would be much simpler to build a separate "project box" for the controller, but man - does installing in the generator box make for a professional installation. Glad I struggled through it.

MRH

I know it will make things much better, I see posts here where guys are doing 20 hour plus smokes, man you would sure benefit from a PID on that.  I plan on doing it in a separate box since mine is brand new.  I told my wife that my 13 year old needed another 4-H project, she just laughed and said she is on to that trick!!![B)] But that would serve 2 purposes then.  Yes Bubbagumps is sure a sweet looking set up, but I will try a box for now, just have to get on the ball and order the stuff.

MRH[;)]

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />The PID is such a good add on and that is why Bradley is offering it on the new smokers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've haven't seen any description of the new Bradley digital control. The control may just be a digital thermostat similar to how the Love TS works rather than a PID. It will be interesting to see them when they are out in May.

Bubbagump

MRH

One question for you guys.  How much of a difference is there in the TC from Omega versus the one for 5.00 from Auberin?  Is it really worth spending the extra money if it only makes a few degrees difference in temperature swings, or is  there a lot more to it then that?  I am new to all this and learning as I go maybe trying to go too fast even.

Thanks again,
Mark

nodak

I hooked up the Aubrin TC while waiting for my Omega to arrive and it jumped around on current temp. My Omega doesn't jump around and therefore holds temp with less variance. Buy the Omega it's worth the money and yes it is much more heavyduty in it's construction. I also questioned spending the money, but I am glad I took Bubbagumps advice and ordered rightaway. Junk in Junk out. Also if you are in cold temps smoking consider buying the extension cord for the TC so you can sit your PID inside as it's minimum operating temp of 32F.  

Goodluck and if you have any questions I'm sure somebody here can help you.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

lvigil

Just got my order in from Omega and Auber.  I copied "gary_CO" and "bubbagump" on their PID setup.  I will test it over the weekend.  Thanks to all!! ;D  Gary_CO and Bubbagump ---- You RULE.........
New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"

green1320

Can some one please give me a very detailed message on step by step on how to do this procedure. Also what exactly all does this help to do. Thanks

mattmilw

A PID precisely controls the internal temperature of your smoker. It consists of the PID itself, a solid state relay, and a thermocouple. The thermocouple is placed inside the smoker, and is connected to the pid. It monitors the temperature. The power for the heating element of the smoker is controlled by the PID, based on the feedback provided by the thermocouple. You set your desired temp on the PID, and it controls the heating element to maintain that temp. You basically set it and forget it.

It's not as big a deal as it may first seem. There are only a few parts to buy, and only a few connections to make. Read through this thread and you'll find the specifics. The cost to build mine was roughly $80 or so.

Hope this helps.

smkdbrd

bubbagumps, gary, novak,   just got done putting everything together and am in the process of auto tune. Thanks a bunch for a great thread!!!!.  Question for the people that went before me...How long does it take to Auto-tune?  Is that what the "AT" is flashing on the PID(auto tune)?  Do I need to tune it everytime I run it?  After it is tuned is the only thing I have to do is hit the set button and change the setting on the lower screen?  And last but not least..is there any special settings to get the most out the pid?   Thanks a bunch to everyone!!
ex-wife said I smoked everything but the dog!!! Hey, I love my dog!!!

bubbagump

Quote from: smkdbrd on August 09, 2006, 02:17:19 PM
bubbagumps, gary, novak,   just got done putting everything together and am in the process of auto tune. Thanks a bunch for a great thread!!!!.  Question for the people that went before me...How long does it take to Auto-tune?  Is that what the "AT" is flashing on the PID(auto tune)?  Do I need to tune it everytime I run it?  After it is tuned is the only thing I have to do is hit the set button and change the setting on the lower screen?  And last but not least..is there any special settings to get the most out the pid?   Thanks a bunch to everyone!!

smkdbrd,

If you're using the Auberin PID read through this thread. If not, let me know which one you are.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2829.0

Bubbagump

robs

Quote from: smkdbrd on August 09, 2006, 02:17:19 PM

In AT mode it will overshoot and undershoot the set temp 3 times, then it is done. AT will quit flashing.

I beleive you only use AT when extreme variables change, such as adding a different TC or ambient switching from 0 to 90.

The set temp will last from one session to the next. If you set it at 225, it will be set at 225 the next time you plug it in.

If you have trouble with AT, send me a PM. I have emails from Auber that may help the situation. I am also in the process of putting together a new thread on how to wire the whole thing together and set it up. I had ALOT of help from one of the members here, who had alot of help from another member, who...

I would be curious to know if you experience temp swings like I was. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3681.0

rob

smkdbrd

robs, sorry for late reply(way late!!)  smoked brisket and pork butt on 1st trial.  Smoked a 13lb CAB that was "wet aged" for 30 days and the butt was about 4.5 pounds(halfer).  cooked thru the night and only got up once to change the pucks and water,  held temp within 2 degrees using a maverick and the pid reading.  Brisket was great!!!!! Pork Butt I believe was too done at about 185 degrees.  this is the only way to go.  Made the pid with 25 amp ssr and did the bypass switch thing so that it heats up the bradley  to a higher temp.  Plan on using this in my old electric brinkmans that has a 1800 watt element.   The box is protected with a fast blow fuse on the load side of 20 amps.  I'll post when I try this out but am waiting for a little cooler weather.  Thanks for everything  this site is the best.
ex-wife said I smoked everything but the dog!!! Hey, I love my dog!!!

robs

Quote from: smkdbrd on September 16, 2006, 07:01:38 PM
robs, sorry for late reply(way late!!)  smoked brisket and pork butt on 1st trial.  Smoked a 13lb CAB that was "wet aged" for 30 days and the butt was about 4.5 pounds(halfer).  cooked thru the night and only got up once to change the pucks and water,  held temp within 2 degrees using a maverick and the pid reading.  Brisket was great!!!!! Pork Butt I believe was too done at about 185 degrees.  this is the only way to go.  Made the pid with 25 amp ssr and did the bypass switch thing so that it heats up the bradley  to a higher temp.  Plan on using this in my old electric brinkmans that has a 1800 watt element.   The box is protected with a fast blow fuse on the load side of 20 amps.  I'll post when I try this out but am waiting for a little cooler weather.  Thanks for everything  this site is the best.

Awesome! I love it when a plan comes together.

mhoy

Quote from: MRH on March 06, 2006, 06:08:53 PM
The wife is gonna kill me!!![:D]  After reading this thread I can see I will have to build one of these too. She is gonna say you have only used it once, and now it will cost more!!!!

This forum is great!!
Mark

Wow, I think I'm going to have to do this at some point and I've only started my 2nd smoke today!  ;D

Mark

Habanero Smoker

Mark;

The following link may be of further assistance:
PID Controller

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)