Chile powders for rubs & such...

Started by hal4uk, March 07, 2012, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

So, anyway....  I ordered a few for my "arsenal" (note HERE the reference to weapons)...
Just tried a tiny dab of the "pure habanero powder".
(note HERE that I was too chicken to order any ghost powder)...

Uhhh.. back to that tiny dab...
You'd think I was hit in the face by a flamethrower infused with pepper spray.
Cough-spit-snort....  SNOT FLYING EVERYWHERE (sorry for the mental image).
Good Lord.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

muebe

Hal I just made some of my own Habanero powder and that stuff does have a kick :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hal4uk

Quote from: muebe on March 07, 2012, 09:00:48 PM
Hal I just made some of my own Habanero powder and that stuff does have a kick :o
That's exactly what I was thinking --- "This has a KICK" --- while I was screaming like a baby banshee in boiling radioactive mutant oil...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Sparky

Don't feel alone.  I grew ghost peppers last year.  I dried and powdered some.  Well, a little was TOO much!  Now, if and when I am brave (or DUMB) enough, to use the powder again, I will add a little at a time and taste along the way.   :o   :o   :o

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

hal4uk

Quote from: Smokin Sparky on March 07, 2012, 09:21:03 PM
  Don't feel alone.  I grew ghost peppers last year.  I dried and powdered some.  Well, a little was TOO much!  Now, if and when I am brave (or DUMB) enough, to use the powder again, I will add a little at a time and taste along the way.   :o   :o   :o

Blake
I'll never use this stuff in a rub/sauce (much less ghost powder)...

I see you joined the forum recently ---  Welcome aboard!
And -- FYI --- If you hang around here long enough, you might wanna join our (really fun) Christmas exchange!!!
Just pray I don't draw your name, because someone is in for an explosive treat this year.  Yeahhhh... I'm gonna find some way to pawn this murderous dust off --- Heck, I bought a POUND of it.  That's enough for a six-pack of WMDs.

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

JZ

I've never tried this stuff but your description makes it crystal clear as to what should be expected when you taste it.
Sooooo I hate to ask but what does it do the day after. Do you have to sit in a tub full of ice to cool off the old afterburner?   ;D ;D

Smokin Sparky

Does "COME ON ICE CREAM!" mean anything?    :o  :o

Blake

hal4uk

Quote from: JZ on March 07, 2012, 09:38:22 PM
I've never tried this stuff but your description makes it crystal clear as to what should be expected when you taste it.
Sooooo I hate to ask but what does it do the day after. Do you have to sit in a tub full of ice to cool off the old afterburner?   ;D ;D
Nice catch... but...
I was hoping no one would really think this through as much as I have.
Heck, I gotta go to work tomorrow...
Just shoot me.

Seriously... I love "hot" stuff.  I use El Yucateo (sp?) habanero sauce on tacos.
But, this powder is freaky dangerous hot.

I wish I'd have been at Ka Honu's house when I tried it --- At least, that way, there would have been a possibility of an active lava flow to dive in for some relief.

Speaking of Paul...  He gave me some Wasabi macadamia nuts that taste like vanilla ice cream next to this stuff.

(Dang...  I hope I'm making this WARNING clear enough for everyone...)

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Sparky

I make this stuff I call Butt Hair Remover.  It's not a rub but more like a salsa.  What I do is I take all of the hot peppers that I grow and chop them up.  Then I divide them in half.  I add some garlic and onipon to the mix and simmer half of it in water and vinegar.  Then comes the nasty part.  The other half is stir fried until blackened.  The first time that I did this was in the house!  Our poor cats were trying to tear the screens off just to get outside.  My SWMBO said that I ever tried to do that in the house again would be the last thing that I would do alive!  So now I set up my camp stove outside and stir fry the peppers upwind.  I  then put it jars and process it.  The strange thing is that once you open the jar after it is processed, the longer it sits, THE HOTTER IT GETS!  Believe it or not, I have some guys that I work with ask if I am making more every summer.  If you have a bowl of chili, all you need is a tablespoon to heat it right up.

Blake

hal4uk

Quote from: Smokin Sparky on March 07, 2012, 09:42:19 PM
  Does "COME ON ICE CREAM!" mean anything?    :o  :o

Blake
Funny how there's no time to dip up some ice cream.
The initial (fleeting/nanosecond) thought is "Hmmm.... Tasty... Kinda fruity..."
Then, the PANIC sets in.  But, where cayenne eases off just before the panic point --- THIS STUFF INTENSIFIES...
And it LINGERS... Until the serious fear of DEATH takes over...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Quote from: Smokin Sparky on March 07, 2012, 10:01:05 PM
Believe it or not, I have some guys that I work with ask if I am making more every summer.
I thought my friends were crazy.
"I stand corrected, Wyatt!"
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Sparky

A Mans Got to Know His Limitations.  Obviously "I KNOW NOTHING!"    ::)  ::)  ::)

Blake

JZ

So I will never eat Ice Cream again!!!!  >:( >:( ;D ;D

muebe

This is the hottest stuff I have ever had.  http://www.davesgourmet.com/productinfo/daui.php

After my friend loaded up a chip with it and gave it to me I had the most uncomfortable half hour of my life. When I asked him what he thought of how hot it was he told me that he has never tried it. He just bought it to give to people to see their reaction. About an hour later I asked for another chip  :o and yes a little drinking on my part was involved.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Ka Honu

Well, I can help (but only a little bit)...

First, hal, you're always welcome to any lava you want to dive into, but I'd suggest just going for the pool (where you're also welcome).

Second - I used some of SWMBO's homegrown (very spicy) habaneros I had dried to make salsa today (based on a recipe I got from Pachanga a while back) and it came out great (and a tiny bit shy of excruciatingly hot).  I'm guessing we'll have some picante turkey enchiladas for dinner tonight.

The bad news is that each habanero is more than enough for a quart of salsa.  I could drown in that stuff before we used all the habaneros that come out of the backyard.