First lamb is it bad??

Started by hybridcx, March 25, 2012, 08:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridcx

So I have only had lamb in a resteraunt, never cooked myself. Sonobuoy s boneless leg of lamb at Costco. And decided to wet age it for 30 or sondays. It was in the vac pack from Costco. It's sell by date was march 5th. But it stinks. I googled it and aperantly lamb stinks to begin with I just want to make sure it is still good before I smoke it. At this point the wife says she doesn't trust it..... I figured a few weeks past sell by date would be fine being that it was vac packed...

Ka Honu

If in doubt... (C'mon, say it all together, gang)...

Throw it out!

wipf9994

i eat lamb and ewe all the time and i wouldnt say it stinks. its got its own smell. it smells like (lamb). when it does go bad it smells sour.

muebe

Was the package expanded or still had vacuum? If it smells bad I would not chance getting sick.

When meat starts to turn the vacuum package will start to expand due to gas from the bacteria being produced. That is a sure sign!

But as the Turtle stated...when in doubt throw it out!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hybridcx

Seal was still good and no swelling. But it smells sour and every time the fridge is opened it gets a pungent smell from it. I think I will error to the safe side and not cook and eat it.....

muebe

Quote from: hybridcx on March 25, 2012, 11:22:15 AM
Seal was still good and no swelling. But it smells sour and every time the fridge is opened it gets a pungent smell from it. I think I will error to the safe side and not cook and eat it.....

Good call ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Not sure how many times I read about the doubts that folks here have about eating questionable anything , Ka Honu in my mind is right on, it sure is not worth the trip to the ER...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 25, 2012, 09:46:55 AM
If in doubt... (C'mon, say it all together, gang)...

Throw it out!

x2
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

I have been sick from spoiled food a couple of times in the past back in my Army days. It is not a pleasant thing to experience, and can become deadly. A few bucks is just not worth the risk.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mani

Lamb/Hogget/Mutton is the most common meat for us over here...

For those used to Beef or Pork, it certainly does have a destinctive smell, but I wouldn't say it's bad...  No worse than say Veal?

As everyone says, I wouldn't risk it...  Or as I generally do when in SLIGHT doubt - Do the cat test.  Cut a bit off, fry it, give it to the cat, if he eats it, it's good...

3rensho

Hey Mani,  what is Hogget??  British speak for hog (aka piggy)??  We can get mutton here too from the halal section in shops in France.  Love it with couscous or in a tagine.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

rajzer

A hogget is an older lamb, usually between 6 months a year.  Good stuff because its still lighter tasting and not as tough as mutton.  The chops and racks are bigger than what you get from a lamb.  Saw lots of hogget meat when travelling in NZ a couple of years ago.  Never saw it in stores in Canada.  Probably excellent for sausage.

Mani

Quote from: 3rensho on April 10, 2012, 07:55:28 AM
Hey Mani,  what is Hogget??  British speak for hog (aka piggy)??  We can get mutton here too from the halal section in shops in France.  Love it with couscous or in a tagine.

Rajzer has pretty much said it!  Over here, there seems to be a mad rush for Spring Lamb, which I have never understood as my Spring there has been no flavour developed, plus its expensive!!!!

I prefer to wait for a few months, and get Autumn Lamb, or for obvious reasons, Hogget!  The cuts are bigger, more flavour, not as tough as Mutton, but bags of flavour.

I'm fortunate that I pass through Cumbria once a week with work, and the Cumbrian Fell lamb and Hogget is the best I've tasted anywhere.  Even better than Salt Marsh Lamb (and that says something).  There's no farming as such, the Farmer keeps them on the fells, leaves them to it until it's time for 'harvesting'.  The Farmers will usually trade half a Lamb or Hogget for 400 duty free cigarettes... 

A Lamb and Date Tagine is beautiful...  I do love those spices.