butt question

Started by wolverines, March 28, 2012, 04:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverines

Going to smoke a butt Saturday. I usually just throw a rub on it and wrap it up the nite before. I heard of some on here putting the molasses on and then the rub. Thought of trying it.  Do you put the molasses on then the rub and go straight to smoking or do you put the molasses/rub on the nite before?

Thanks,

Wolves

viper125

Either will work! It's as much for glue for the rub as it is for flavor.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

I used to do the overnight thing but don't anymore.  I don't think it adds anything to the butt.  Now I just apply the molasses and the Rub and straight into the smoker.  One other trick I do is prior to adding anything to the butt, I trim off the fat cap.  I find it's not necessary, the meat is still just as moist and you retain more pronounced bark to go in the meat with a lot less fat to pick out.

ghost9mm

Quote from: KyNola on March 28, 2012, 07:32:03 AM
I used to do the overnight thing but don't anymore.  I don't think it adds anything to the butt.  Now I just apply the molasses and the Rub and straight into the smoker.  One other trick I do is prior to adding anything to the butt, I trim off the fat cap.  I find it's not necessary, the meat is still just as moist and you retain more pronounced bark to go in the meat with a lot less fat to pick out.

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

wolverines

mikecorn.1

Mike