• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp Question

Started by Smokin Elvis, April 07, 2012, 07:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Elvis

I am smoking my first pork butt....did my rub, stored overnite, now in the Bradley for two hours so far.  Have the slide temp bar cranked all the way to the right cuz my Bradley doesn't seem to get too hot from past experience with brisket.

Here's my problem:  Hooked the Maverick smoker temp probe to the rack and it now reads 245 degrees.  However the door thermometer only reads 190.  Meat temp is only  77 so far.  So do I cut it down or just wait....was shooting for a smoker temp to 225.  Can I trust the door thermometer?  Tend to think the Maverick probe is more accurate and I should cut my temp bar down a bit.

thanks,

Mike

tdwester

The maverick is going to be more accurate then the door gauge.

Smokin Elvis

Thanks.  Do you agree with a temp of 225 as my goal?

smoker pete

If your Maverick is reading 245ºF then I think you might have the temp probe in the wrong place.  Is the probe below the pork butt?  I agree that the door gauge is not very accurate but the Mav temp probe needs to be under the meat.

Smoker temp of 225ºF is what I use for my butts.  Have fun ... good eats!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

mikecorn.1

Try to put it to where nothing is dripping on the probe. Below the
Rack where the butt is on.
Also, do the boiling water test on your maverick to make sure that it's accurate. I try to do it the day before or the day off while the Bradley is coming up to temp or I'm doing other prep work. Like anything else it can go bad. I have a maverick et73 that reads 12' less than the actual temp that the meat is at. I have the new et732 but I will check that one also. You just never know and it doesn't take that that long to do.
Nothing like cooking something and it doesn't look quite done ;D (from personal experience)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smokin Elvis

Thanks. Still goin, taking longer than I thought for 8 lb butt.  Did 4 hour smoke. Have vents opened all the way. Temp was up to 235 earlier, now down to 219 cranked all the way up. IT is only 161 after 9 hours.  Geez. Can't have for dinner tonite, that's for sure cuz I want to FTC for at least an hour.  Guess doing butts overnight makes more sense.

devo

;D ;D ;D ;D
Welcome to low and slow my friend, ya better get used to it  ;)

Smokin Elvis

Yep.  Bet its gonna be awesome when its done.  Can already see bigtime bark.

muebe

And at 161F IT your still in the stall most likely :o

It may stay there for a few hours before rising. Keep plenty of cold libations available. Your in for a long haul ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokin Elvis

I don't get why I can't get higher temps or at least keep it at 225.  I have a classic Bradley.  I read some of you guys put in extra heating elements.  Is this why?  Disappointing.

Smokin Elvis

So maybe get the digital Bradley and dump the classic? Not sure why the heating element is so weak.  Is the digital version better?

devo

During the stall like muebe talked about the temp will not start to go up till it's over. You have to remember this is only a 500 watt element and yes thats why we sometimes add an extra one. It will come around for you and when it does the temps will come back to normal. You either need lots of coffee or lots of beer....I go for the beer  ;D ;D ;D

mikecorn.1

Same element different controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Quote from: Smokin Elvis on April 07, 2012, 05:01:13 PM
I don't get why I can't get higher temps or at least keep it at 225.  I have a classic Bradley.  I read some of you guys put in extra heating elements.  Is this why?  Disappointing.

Where are you taking your temp reading from? Are you using a digital thermometer like a Maverick?

The temp reading in the door gauge will not be accurate because it is located above the meat. You need to take the temp with a digital thermometer like a Maverick with the probe below the meat on the lowest rack. A large cut of meat like a 8lb butt is going to absorb a lot of energy. The stall is when the connective tissues in the meat begin to breakdown. This usually starts at around 160F IT. This is the reason that pulled pork can be "pulled" and falls apart. Once you get out of the stall the temp will start to climb again.

I have two 8lb butts in my Original Bradley right now. I have a 900w upgraded element and a convection fan. I put them in last night at 10PM at 220F for 4 hours while smoking and bumped it up to 240F after that. It is 5:33PM currently and they are at a IT of 187F and 184F. I will pull them at 195F IT and then FTC. As you can see even with more horsepower and higher temps it still takes time. So just be patient and the results will be worth it ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokin Elvis

Yes I am using a Maverick.  Finally gave up after 12 hours, put in foil and fridge...will start again today.  I think next time starting the night before is the way to go.  Do all of you recommend putting in the extra heating element in the original Bradley?  And a fan?  Sounds like I'm customizing a car....need to drive these butts a little faster.....   :P