Wood pidgeon curry

Started by amigo smoker, April 23, 2012, 07:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

Well guys i got another curry recipe for you, now im not sure if wood pidgeon is popular over in the states but its getting more popular over here in the uk, so thought i would share this curry

Its kind of an infusion of chinese/indian and is a kind of sweet and sour balti, believe me it taste alot better than it sounds,it also has jamaican jerk powder in it for a fruity taste.

Started to make this a few years ago and i forgot about it for along time, then thought i would have another go at it and made a few tweeks here and there and i think its a winner.
It is also on the menu at a restaurant near us, my wifes cousin is the head chef and he and his wife came round for dinner one day, of course i made this curry and he said he qould like the recipe for the restaurant, and he says it sells really well

anyway here it is, if you try it i hope you enjoy it

Ingredients

4 pidgeon breasts, halved
1 large onion, sliced
8 mushrooms, halved
1 tube of tomatoe puree
1 400ml pot of greek natural yogurt
2 tablespoons of vinegar
5 level tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of garam masala
2 teaspoon of jerk seasoning
2 tablespoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
olive oil

Method

in a bowl mix the yogurt, tomatoe puree, vinegar, sugar, garam masala, jerk seasoning, curry powder and chilli powder, mix well until it all turns a pink colour.

heat a a table spoon of the olive oil in a pan and add the onions and mushrooms, cook for a couple of minutes and add the pidgeon breasts and cook for a further 2-3 mins

then crank the heat up as high as possible wait a minute and add the yogurt mixture little at a time and keep stirring ( very important to stir the whole time and add a little at a time and only add more when the previous bit is bubbling)

once all the yogurt is in keep stirring until it starts to bubble and then turn down low and let it gently cook for 20 mins, by now the sauce should have changed a slightly darker colour , this is because the sugar has melted.

once it been cooking for 20 mins try it and if you want it a little hotter just add more curry powder and chilli powder until its just the way you like it

here is a picture of the finished curry

slowpoke

Wood Pidgeon?Here in Canada it might be a similar to the Ruff Grouse.Good white meat.I love curry,I'll be making this one for sure.
Chilli powder should give it a Mexican zing.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

amigo smoker

wood pidgeon is a deep crimson colour, has a lovely  taste

we have to types

feral / rats with wings

and wood pidgeon which are gorgeous meat

amigo smoker

personally i thiink this works better with a game bird, but chicken is very with it to

amigo smoker

another tip

add about 2-3 table spoons of olive oil to the yogurt mix before putting it in the pan,,, gives a lovely smooth texture, and well worth doing

mat

slowpoke

I'll do chicken first.Grouse season isn't till the fall.I think I might smoke the chicken first,just because.LOL

OU812

Are ya talkin pigeons like ya se in the barn?

amigo smoker

Quote from: OU812 on April 25, 2012, 07:25:43 PM

thats the ones  :)

amigo smoker

im having it tomorrow but with duck

amigo smoker

Quote from: slowpoke on April 25, 2012, 07:14:38 PM
I'll do chicken first.Grouse season isn't till the fall.I think I might smoke the chicken first,just because.LOL

let me know how it tastes if you do try

mat

slowpoke

Waltz

Partridge on the left wood pigeon on the right :)

OU812

Quote from: amigo smoker on April 26, 2012, 10:37:04 AM
Quote from: OU812 on April 25, 2012, 07:25:43 PM

thats the ones  :)

I got me some of them, corn fed too.  ;D