My smoking has been shut down by the complex

Started by The542, May 17, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

SWAP APARTMENTS with your upstairs neighbor.
Smoke rises.
Awrighten.

You, your neighbor, your landlord... ALL HAPPY.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

get an SRG -it is a gas grill that you can smoke butts and everything else.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

The542

Quote from: hal4uk on May 17, 2012, 09:02:26 PM
SWAP APARTMENTS with your upstairs neighbor.
Smoke rises.
Awrighten.

You, your neighbor, your landlord... ALL HAPPY.
Awrighten.

Ha! The gf and I talked about that last night!
BDS4 w/ cold smoke adapter
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

NePaSmoKer

We rent now in a HOA development.

If some dont like the smoke they can KMA

thirtydaZe

please, please, please, please, do what ever you can to generate as much smoke as humanly possible on that gas grill.  burn logs, when you're not cooking, use wood chunks to cook your food, etc, etc, etc....

at all cost, keep that gasser smoking when in use and when not.

a point has to be made here.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

mikecorn.1

I'm liking the idea of an SRG. Go with the tommy ring at the bottom and load it up with some wood or pellets. The side chute for wood doesn't do the job. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

The542

So I met with the complex management this afternoon, having had a full 24hrs to cool off. Now this may sound a little conceided, but I know how to put my best foot forward and turn on the easy-going charm when needed.
By the end of the meeting, I had been offered a much better, newly remodeled appt on the top floor of another bldg overlooking the lake, and with a fireplace, for the same price as what we're paying now...with a written agreement that I can use my smoker.
Yes, that means I'll have to bubble-wrap all my crap, but I'll be paying someone to lug it up three flights of stairs.

My new approach, kill them with kindness: this new appt won't be ready till mid July. In the meantime I'm going to write a nice letter to the family above, apologize for the nuisance, ask them to be a little more forthrigh. I will include a nice gift card to the best Turkish restaurant in Philly. (they are Turkish)
I now want them to feel like crap for back-channeling me, and open lines of communication for the month and a half before we move. Maybe we can work a compromise in the meantime...

Thoughts?
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330

Tater

Killing them with kindness is a good idea.  I was going to suggest that you invite them for dinner and blow their socks off with some good ol' baby back ribs. 0oops are Turks Muslims?  Could be that's the problem.  All that smoking pork.... Anyway, friendliness has ALWAYS worked for me.

Up In Smoke

AWESOME!!!
Glad to hear that things are working out.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

muebe

I am always up for a good fight!

But the way you handled it is much better ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Consooger

I wouldn't buy them anything. They basically went behind your back instead of coming to you first and working it out. I would simply just not smoke (yes I know that is tough) or take the smoker somewhere else that you can use it on a regular basis until you move. They obviously didn't care about you and were more focused on them. Move out, smoke some ribs and have a big fat ol' victory cigar because you won in the end my friend.

BTW they will probably complain about the next person that is under them next as well...

- Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

JZ

You won the battle. 8)

As far your approach to the neighbors I see that taking one of two courses. 1) they feel like total A**holes for stirring up all of this and causing all of this grieve for someone who is obviously a good person - you, and maybe they will apologize or 2) they just learned that complaining is the best solution because they just got the offending party kicked out of his apartment and on top of that were given gifts and they will forever feel that they won big time. Depends on what kind of people they really are. Good luck and lets hope they are good people.

standles

Your response should reflect your character.  Do not worry about how the other folks will interpret it.   

If you doing it to subtlety try to induce some remorse in them then in my opinion it is a false effort and should not even be done.   IF your intent is to truly open lines of communication and/or begin some form of relationship with them then I see that as upright, honest, and admirable and you should do whatever your character demands of you.

Take the high road and move on.   In the end it seems you got a better deal with no restrictions so rejoice in the blessing.

Later, Steven

The542

All great recent replies!

To update, I did follow through with the gift card, it did open tons of communication, and things right now are ok. I told them I was not trying to coheres them into me using the smoker before we move and that it is no longer an issue.  They are good people, the mother quickly admitted to me that she was very intimidated by me, just because I am a well spoken, 230 lb, 6 foot gymaholic, and that is why I was routed.

They keep all their windows open because she openly stated that they can't afford the bill for a/c. She only moved her and her kids to this (nice) complex so they would be in this particular school district.

Anyway, as far as my response reflecting my character, the more I sat on the issue, calmed down and tried to put myself in their shoes, the better my intentions were...for what it's worth. Not perfect, but I am who I am.

In the end, I'll still have a lot of summer to smoke, I'll get a bigger &  better appt, and was able to meet and befriend the neighbors above in the meantime.

Yes, I won.
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330